Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon SWD 90mm f/5.6 Large Format Lens

Fujinon SWD 90mm f/5.6 Large Format Lens

I just purchased this lens for use with my Pacemaker Speed Graphic. I knew it was a large, heavy lens but I did not realize that the rear element is so large that it cannot be mounted on the camera. Any suggestions?

Ed

Re: Fujinon SWD 90mm f/5.6 Large Format Lens

Remove the real lens element, and the film holder back from the camera. Install the lens and insert your hand through the rear of the camera to screw on the real lens element. Then reinstall the film holder back. If you have a Graflock back, it should be fairly easy to remove and reinstall the back.

Quote Originally Posted by jim10219 View Post
    Remove the real lens element, and the film holder back from the camera. Install the lens and insert your hand through the rear of the camera to screw on the real lens element. Then reinstall the film holder back. If you have a Graflock back, it should be fairly easy to remove and reinstall the back.
    Just be very, very careful that you don’t damage the len’s thread, they were not designed for this, or drop and break the gg!

Your other choices would be:

1, get another camera.
    2, get a different lens.

I have that lens, and have been very pleased with it on 4x5.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Try unscrewing the rear lens. Mount the front lens in the board and to the camera. Then remove the back and screw the rear lens to the front.

I don't recall that you can remove the groundglass back from a Pacemaker Speed Graphic- but it's been a long time since I used one.
    If not, perhaps one of the f/8 90mm wide-angle lenses would fit. Of course no such lenses existed when the Speed was designed... a 90/6.8 Schneider Angulon, the Wollensak equivalent, or the Kodak 100/6.3 Wide Field Ektar would certainly fit.
    Sharpness/contrast and coverage will not be the same... but a Speed has relatively few movements anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I don't recall that you can remove the groundglass back from a Pacemaker Speed Graphic- but it's been a long time since I used one.
    If not, perhaps one of the f/8 90mm wide-angle lenses would fit. Of course no such lenses existed when the Speed was designed... a 90/6.8 Schneider Angulon, the Wollensak equivalent, or the Kodak 100/6.3 Wide Field Ektar would certainly fit.
    Sharpness/contrast and coverage will not be the same... but a Speed has relatively few movements anyway.
    The Grandagon 90mm 6.8 N should fit.

I have one of these lenses, it's a beautiful lens. Not probably going to work with your camera. It would really look cool though!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Some, not all, Pacemaker Speed Graphics (all sizes) have spring backs. Most others have Graflok (= International) backs. A very few have Graflex backs.

Graflok backs' focusing panels are easily removed. They have to come off for Graflok accessories such as roll holders to be mounted.

i just got that lens for my wista. its a pita screwing the rear cell in n out every time i use it, but the results are worth the trouble.