Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Maybe a bit off the top. The bldg is rectangular going from left to right. A somewhat rectangular crop (height less than width) I think would accentuate the bldg. Maybe darken the bright spot mid-frame all the way to the right and slight darken the bright spots on the big tree, just slightly though. Otherwise this is a good composition.

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Bryan -- like the square crop...the interaction between the light coming down and the water on the wheel is wonderful. The bit of sunlight on the top of the near tree trunk is unfortunate...distracts one's eye the movement of the light thru the image for me.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Taking into account everyones suggestions, I made this quick edit on the jpg file. I see additional work I could do on it further accentuate the lines in the image. Sun to spire, sun and spire split evenly in the middle as well as equidistant from left/right edges. May not appeal to everyone, but it does seem a bit more balanced.

Definitely like that one Steve.

Vaughn, I hadn't noticed the bright spot on the top of the tree before. Here's another crop that eliminates that, and leaves a bit more breathing room for the right tree. Back to traditional 4:5 aspect ratio:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thank you Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Definitely like that one Steve.

Vaughn, I hadn't noticed the bright spot on the top of the tree before. Here's another crop that eliminates that, and leaves a bit more breathing room for the right tree. Back to traditional 4:5 aspect ratio:
    Lots of possibilities, tho I like the square image -- perhaps cropping the top a little less (keeping the round knot on the tree -- plays nicely off the water wheel, and keeping more of the black branches that sweep in from the top.)
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I'll give it a try - might need to see it on paper to decide! I've cropped post-print too.

I think I prefer the first square. A little burning would tame that highlight I think.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hurricaneshoals-cropped.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	194233

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I think there's some cropping potential

Not a fan.