Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

This is another image from North Grand Canyon taken on Portra160 (I think I spelled it right ) Chamonix 45HS-1. Probably 90mm Schneider XL f/5.6 @f/32. No filters, as I did not have any way to mount them on this lens at the time. Lost my notes, so I am guessing. I think this is from the same view point, but from a different vantage point. February's image. Still haven't figured out why the images get messed with whether from Zenoflio or from flickr.

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Let's see if we can keep this going. Get some more images. I think the feedback is very helpful.

A question, where are you focusing and how are you focusing.

Not a critique
    Tin Can

You're right Steven I think there has been some good discussion and sharing here thus far.

In the spirit of this I will share what I think was my best photo in January. Taken on January 1st actually down in Pascagoula MS. The light was amazing, but fleeting. I plan on printing this in the DR but I am imagining the print will be a little difficult. The sky here in the scan has been burned down heavily to correspond to how I want it to look. I used my Chamonix and Nikkor 90mm:

As for your image above - something about the colors just seem a bit off to me. It looks almost like an image taken late at night with a full moon and long exposure. Too blue for me perhaps? Subjective for sure, especially color film...but just what I'm seeing.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I used my Chamonix and Nikkor 90mm:
    My aesthetic sense is at best nor-nor-west, but doesn't this become a totally different, more dynamic composition if you shave the top 10% off? (If you think you'll take flak from the purists, call it an extra-special 6x7...)

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    My aesthetic sense is at best nor-nor-west, but doesn't this become a totally different, more dynamic composition if you shave the top 10% off? (If you think you'll take flak from the purists, call it an extra-special 6x7...)
    Well let's see! Firstly I can't print "full frame" like it is presented so I cropped off the film borders. Then I cropped of a bit from the top. Presented side-by-side:

You might be right, a little from the top makes things a bit different. I have been known to crop post-print by covering a little bit with the overmat.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Definitely a strong composition either way, with the intersecting triangles of the tree stump and rip-rap....

Foamer

Lot's of nice shots here. Not sure I'm in the same league, but here's one I took a few weeks ago I like. One of the first I processed myself too.

St. Ann Catholic Church, from former townsite of Badus, South Dakota. Look closely under the trees and you'll see Angus cattle sheltering from the north wind.
    Chamonix 045n, Nikon 300mm f9 M, FP4+

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BadusStAnnM.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    A question, where are you focusing and how are you focusing.

Not a critique
    Either on the distant detail with some tilt or about 2/3 of the way in and adding tilt if I want. I estimate hyperfocal distance and sorta wing it once I am reasonably assured of focus on gg. But I still need a lot of practice and work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Lot's of nice shots here. Not sure I'm in the same league, but here's one I took a few weeks ago I like. One of the first I processed myself too.

St. Ann Catholic Church, from former townsite of Badus, South Dakota. Look closely under the trees and you'll see Angus cattle sheltering from the north wind.
    Chamonix 045n, Nikon 300mm f9 M, FP4+

Kent in SD
    Good light and contrast. I like the capture of the headstones in relation to the building. I think a little more shadow detail possibly or darken more.