Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ominous goings on in the retail arena

Ominous goings on in the retail arena

I do an informal, local survey every six months or so. The local Walgreen's pharmacy still carries Tri-X and Kodak's C-41 process B&W in 35mm. Local camera stores are well stocked from 35mm through 120 to 4x5 (not a large selection in 4x5, just what the 2 or 3 of we local photographers buy. 100TMX and 400TMY, a couple of boxes each. They understand that's the price to keep us coming in to their stores!) Some of the other local drug stores carry either Tri-X or (more frequently now) Kodak's C-41 35mm film. The last time I was in, the Ritz store in the big mall a city to the west still carried B&W 35mm, although I believe they no longer carry 120 and they've been out of darkroom materials for years now.

Mail order is your friend. At least, outside of major metropolitan areas, it had better be!
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Outside of large cities, the supply of b&w is shrinking fast. One hint- find a college. When you find a college, check with the bookstore. Lots of students take photo courses, and their bookstores carry what's needed for their courses- b&w film. Call first.

That is true here in rural midwest USA, but the film and paper is priced on the moon. Insanely expensive. Why? Because the bookstore doesn't get a real break PLUS they tack on a lot because the bookstore profits (which are generous) fund scholarships.

It remains that the best thing to do is buy from a large supplier - stock up.

I'm currently going to school at RIT, probably the largest (and oldest) photo school in the country. Our bookstore carries everything up to and including B&W and color in 8x10. Back in northern NJ, where I'm from, I have easy access to most Kodak emulsions in 135 and 120/220.

Still, both between availability and price, I order most of my 135/120 and all of my sheet film from B&H, Freestyle, or some other online retailer. The price can't be beat, and the availability isn't an issue.

I think that most local retailers are realizing that it doesn't really pay to carry much in the way of B&W or larger sizes of film, as most users of this film are making the shift to buying in larger quantity from mailorder/online shops.

Looks as if Kodak won't survive it's current doofus management so it may be time to start stocking up on film and paper. Mail order is wonderful as it will keep a few in business longer and give fresher supplies. The day of the local camera store is numbered with the mega stores. Even Walmart....urp....sorry, sell most camera types. I was in Helena, Montana last week and was amazed at their selection of digital 35mm. Out here on the left coast I support my local camera store (Nelson's) but buy at Freestyle a couple times a year. Items like PMK pyro, liquid light emulsions, 8x10 and 5x7 films, and when I was printing a lot, I would buy a couple hundred dollars worth of paper. Ah to have a darkroom of my own again. (James looks dreamily at the ceiling of his apartment and sighs). Hey Dan, I am regularly driving past Provo and the SL area. Send me an address and I'd love to stop for coffee. jamesmickelson@sbcglobal.net