Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 light leaks when removing the dark slide

Re: 4x5 light leaks when removing the dark slide

Not pulling the darkslide out all the way may protect against light leaks – and it's the way I usually handle the situation – but doing so introduces a lot of potential for subtle vibrations or movements of the holder at shutter snap. Even removing your fingers from the slide before taking the shot leaves the slide hanging like a wobbly sail off the end of the holder with precarious torque, whose tiny, image-wrecking movements may be invisible to the vigilant eye. Pulling the slide all the way out may invite light leaks, but it helps the camera settle down. For me, the conditions of the scene (sun, wind, drizzle, temperature), plus tripod position and general set up, help me decide the best way.

Just try leaving a darkslide flapping around in the wind while trying to make a shot and you'll find out pretty quickly that it' not the way to go. That was a big problem with the Kodak Readyloads as well.

I don't cover the rear standard with the darkcloth either, same issue. However, I try to cover the darkslide slot immediately after pulling the slide. For quick shots, I'll just use the darkslide itself, holding it in position. Often I'll use my baseball cap. For long waits, I have a cover I made from discarded film boxes (black cardboard) and black tape. It press-fits over the exposed end of the filmholder and blocks any light. I have about a hundred used holders (Fidelity, Riteway, etc.) and haven't had a light leak from the darkslide slot for years now.... (knocking quickly on wood).

Best,

Doremus

It is also true that nothing forces you to leave the half drawn dark slide to flap in strong winds. In such cases I simply touch the dark slide to let it lean against my finger - you only need 1 hand to press the shutter release and the flexible dark slide easily absorbs any eventual slight movement of your finger tip. Never had any problem with that solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    In my personal opinion, if the film gets light leaks unless you cover your camera with a darkcloth, your holders or your camera is broken. I'm not quite sure what your specific issue is, from your description, but try them and see. That's really the only way to find out.

As you can tell, I don't cover my cameras with my darkcloth. I have before, when I had some serious issues with one camera and holder, and even doing that didn't help at times. I don't believe it is all that helpful - there is still plenty of light bouncing around under the DC and so if it's a problem, you will eventually get light-leaks, likely on the shot you really didn't want light leaks on...
    If light is bouncing around under your dark cloth, it is too small. My minimum size for 8x10 is 5x7' , for 5x7 it is 4x6', which I also use for 4x5. If I am standing on a more reflective surface like cement or sand I clamp the cloth
    underneath the camera to prevent that light bouncing up.

Quote Originally Posted by davewell View Post
    hi everyone, i am new to large format (and new to this forum). I have been having some light leak issues similar to what has been mentioned in this thread. It is nearly always in the bottom left of an image where the base of the film holder meets the side rail.

You can see evidence of it in this image

Attachment 188420

and to an even greater extent in this image

Attachment 188421

admittedly, i haven't been keeping the focusing cloth on once i have composed the image. Is this what would have been causing a light leak? Should i keep the dark cloth over the rear element whilst i pull out the ark slide, exposure the sheet and re fit the dark slide?
    absolutely!

Many tears ago when Steve Grimes was alive he would reply to post on this forum.

One had to do with light leaks and he said the best insurance to protect against light leaks was to keep the dark cloth draped over the bellows and back.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    If light is bouncing around under your dark cloth, it is too small. My minimum size for 8x10 is 5x7' , for 5x7 it is 4x6', which I also use for 4x5. If I am standing on a more reflective surface like cement or sand I clamp the cloth
    underneath the camera to prevent that light bouncing up.
    You're absolutely right. But I have no interest in carrying around a massive DC. In fact, I usually use a small lightweight jacket. So instead, I have tested and trust my 4x5 film holders. I do not ever get light-leaks unless I do something stupid.

The light-leaks I mentioned above ended up being from a badly-manufactured brand-new film holder. The only answer is to TEST your holders before critical work. And again I believe if you need to regularly cover your camera/bellows/holders with a massive piece of cloth to prevent regularly occurring leaks, that means your gear is broken.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    And again I believe if you need to regularly cover your camera/bellows/holders with a massive piece of cloth to prevent regularly occurring leaks, that means your gear is broken.
    I would agree. After all, film holders are not supposed to leak light from the dark slide opening - the velvet flap is there for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRitter View Post
    Many tears ago when Steve Grimes was alive he would reply to post on this forum.

One had to do with light leaks and he said the best insurance to protect against light leaks was to keep the dark cloth draped over the bellows and back.
    Same. I once tested the 4x5 film holders with trimmed B/W RC paper and tested direct and prolonged exposure to sunlight and the darkslides are not necessarily 100% opaque. It gives me a peace of mind to drape the camera bellows/back during sunny conditions.

When overcast or side lit conditions, as long as the sun doesn't hit the slot of the film holder, sometimes I don't drape the camera.

Given that I have only shot LF for over a year, I'm doing my best not to stress out while being out in the field worrying about equipment difficulties.

I have had a few where it isn't the darkslide of holder that causes leaks, but me when I try to remove or insert the darkslide. When in haste you wring it a bit away from the back light can enter between back and holder.
    Expert in non-working solutions.