I am posting this on my Nephew's page here.

We lost a great friend in the passing of Michael A. Smith. An excellent photographer and teacher. Opinionated, irascible and absolutely convinced Azo and Amidol was given from God for fine Photography - Michael will be missed.

He had not been in good shape as the result of a series of Strokes. Paula Chamlee, his wife - an excellent photographer, artist and teacher informed me of this as I have kept up with them as friends for some time. Both photographed with Large Format gear. Michael with the 8x10, 8x20 and 17x22. Contact prints were the goal - prints of the highest quality they could make.

http://www.michaelandpaula.com is their website. You might go on and check out the writings and images. No need to send flowers. Best thing one could do it buy a book or their cards to help with the expenses to come and to have some work of this fine photographer.

Michael was a friend and I am glad to have known him. He was abrasive at times and so sure that Azo and Amidol was the finest presentation of B&W photographs possible - later to be Lodima and Amidol - with Lodima paper the creation of He and Paula after Kodak stopped making Azo for B&W printing. His zeal and passion at times got in the way for some. For others it signaled his single minded dedication to printing of the highest order. Everything in life that could interfere with fine photography was discarded as he worked towards perfection in vision, technique and prints. A single minded dedication to excellence was what Micheal was about. In this he had the perfect Wife in Paula Chamlee - if anything - even a better photographer and teacher. To Michael's "East Coast Brusque" she is Texas laid back charm. Just as dedicated to the art of fine images she is a painter as well as a photographer, a truly talented artist.

They were a fine couple who lived from the Fine Art they produce.

Remember Michael as photographic excellence and support Paula during this time. And yes, buy a book or print rather than send flowers. The finest memorial to an excellent photographer is to have their work in your library and on your walls. I know Michael would approve. He was all about fine images.

I have been enriched tremendously from knowing them both.

Paula will put something up on their website shortly. I talked with her before posting this and have her permission to let folks know of Michaels passing.

Dan Smith