Thread: MLC 810 - Optical Bench DIY

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MLC 810 - Optical Bench DIY

Good morning people, this is my first thread.
    My name is Roberto Zamperoni, i'm from Cornuda, little village in north/est Italy.
    Till 3 years ago i had a Deardorff 8x10, but after several time in mountain with 12/15 kg in backpack i decide to create my personal camera.

And after two prototype i was able to create MLC 810 (Michelangelo Lightweight Camera),

why Michelangelo? I wanted to dedicate it to my 3 year old son Michelangelo.

why Lightweight? After my experience with heavyweight backpack, i decide to reduce the weight of item, and which material was the best compromise between rigidity and lightness, the carbon fiber.
    front/rear standard was made by carbon fiber worked in a mold, and also the rail that support the standards was carbon, this choice led me to have an 8x10" camera that weighs only 3.8kg, someone can say, but there are 8x10 "that weigh even 3.5 / 3.2kg, yes, but none of these is equipped with micrometric movements like the MLC 810. And another way to reduce weight, was to redesign the chassis, MLC chassis weigh 450gr against the 650gr of the fidelity, is only 200gr for one chassis but if you have 5 is 1kg.
    My chassis do not work in the same way of fidelity, there is no volet, but a light-tight system until the chassis does not enter the camera.

After a year of research I found micrometric movements that allow me to keep a low profile in terms of size and weight in order not to increase too much the lever arm between standard and rail, but that are able to withstand heavy weights (about 6kg) in case must mount some optics with a maximum weight.

The camera is designed for outdoor shooting so some movements are limited to the essentials, the tilt of the optics and the standard rear is maximum 15 °, the rear does not have the vertical and lateral shift. but it has focus, tilt both vertical and horizontal, micrometric. The front standard has a vertical tilt of 15 °, the horizontal limited by the bellows, the lateral shift of 40 mm per side with worm screw, and the vertical shift similar to the sinar F, about 50 mm to rise and as many to fall

I've posted some photos, the prototype isn't ready, but i hope i ultimate it in 1-2 months.

I hope you like it, please leave comment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180929_232203.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	184121
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181105_204921.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	184136
    Last edited by robyz1984; 5-Nov-2018 at 12:52.