Proposed Shutter Tester

I can't do this. I do not have the knowledge vbase in electronics or the skill set toi even experiment with this idea. Maybe someone here can.

I understand that folks have used a sound program to capture the actual sound of a shutter functioning and derive a shutter speed from that. The idea that popped into my thoughts was to use a light detector to generate a current that would be processed into a sound signal. As the light increased the "sound" signal would get stronger, then weaker based on the amount of light falling on the detector. The sound application would then display this as a curve and measure of the duration of the shutter's action would come from that.

Dunno what components would be needed or how to put them together. I have no idea what software would be needed either. In the home workshop version, this might be the size of a shoe box and require separate light. In the refined commercial version, the whole thing would fit onto the front of a lens like a lens cap and be the size of a soda can . . .with blue tooth connection to a smart phone for the display.

A quick check of the actual shutter speed could be made in the field with the soda-casn model.

Maybe the best approach is to build it as a focal plane detector instead of at the front element.

Too much late afternoon coffee on a rainy day I guess . . .sorry.