Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
A f/64 backpack worked out great in holding all my equipment, and a few more essentials. Typically carry the WP or the 8x10 Chamonix camera, 3 lenses, and everything else in the f/64 backpack
That's certainly a landscape that deserves a big negative!

I just checked the dimensions of the f64 pack, and to be honest I think my approach would be to cut off the straps/hipbelt off of it until it resembled a slick ICU, then stick it in an expedition sized toploader. Fill the remaining space with a couple of drysacks containing your UL camp and you ought to be set. You might have to shop around for a host pack that has a wide enough packbag--Mystery Ranch might be a good place to start. (FWIW, I have a Bozeman-era Dana AstralPlane that would swallow the f64 with no problem.)

If I'm reading correctly, though, are we to assume that the f64 doesn't hold your 11x14? I can certainly see where that would be a challenge for even the biggest packs--it might be worth talking to Dan McHale, the custom pack builder, to see if one of his models could be modded to your specs...a 7000 cu in panel-loader would be a sight to behold.

Otherwise, given your slick and rocky AO, I'd argue pretty strongly that you should be able to stow your tripod, if only to leave your hands free for trekking poles. Here in the Smokies, there are streamside trails I don't mind carrying my Ries as Vaughn does, but throw in a little elevation gain and slick Anakeesta slate a little extra security is welcome.