Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Re: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Much better Max!

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    All details and more images of the MK2 up on the site now: https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/product...id-8x10-camera
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    I think I had the same opinion of the 8x10 Mk I. However, the Mk II seems to be in the right track, that is why ordered mine. Intrepid has taken the comments and reviews of almost everyone to make this second version a real jewel.
    And do you still consider the Intrepid 8x10 “a real jewel” now that you’ve received one?

Quality control continues to be a lingering issue with the Intrepid 8x10. Even after they replaced the entire base/focusing gear assembly, the focus mechanism is unreliable once you have it extended more than halfway out (skips teeth, gears grind). I can only imagine this will become more of an issue with age/use, as the plastic components are clearly not going to age well. I find the camera unpleasant to use, given the issues and the sense of fragility of the build, so I may donate it to some student/teaching situation.

I find my camera to be the result of hasty production: it demonstrates lack of quality control, something Intrepid really needs to attend to. I cannot recommend the Intrepid over a similarly affordable 8x10 such as an old Kodak 2D.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    And do you still consider the Intrepid 8x10 “a real jewel” now that you’ve received one?

Quality control continues to be a lingering issue with the Intrepid 8x10. Even after they replaced the entire base/focusing gear assembly, the focus mechanism is unreliable once you have it extended more than halfway out (skips teeth, gears grind). I can only imagine this will become more of an issue with age/use, as the plastic components are clearly not going to age well. I find the camera unpleasant to use, given the issues and the sense of fragility of the build, so I may donate it to some student/teaching situation.

I find my camera to be the result of hasty production: it demonstrates lack of quality control, something Intrepid really needs to attend to. I cannot recommend the Intrepid over a similarly affordable 8x10 such as an old Kodak 2D.
    I agree that I support the effort, but I also believe that Intrepid can do better. Due to the quick grow, I think Max should not be making cameras and managing the place. They should have a manager to handle the business, marketing, etc., and an operations manager to consider an improved product. I recently purchased an old wooden camera 4x5 (1919) and an old 8x10 (1930s?), which I refurbished, and I am super happy with them. I am using the Intrepid only for cases where I dont mind it getting lost and because of the light weight.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Well, my first car was a Triumph TR7. I hope that experience isn't indicative of what to expect with the new camera.
    No electrical on an Intrepid so you should be miles ahead.

Roger

Yeah, Roger. If it says "Lucas" on it anywhere....
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

AKA Prince of Darkness

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    AKA Prince of Darkness

Re: Intrepid 8x10 experiences - MKII film holder insertion/removal

Hi - first-time poster, duplicating a post I just made to the FB group to get some traction...If there is a separate thread for MKII 8x10 I did not see it (please link if so, thanks)...

I'm thrilled my 2nd gen. 8x10 arrived yesterday. I'm having some challenges seating and unseating the film holder. It catches on the way in and needs some serious jiggling to insert, and also needs some serious jiggling to remove - no doubt this unsettles the camera position (esp. if the tripod connection is not rock solid). The top spring arm pops off the back if too aggressive (though re-seats without much fuss).

Does anyone have tips or tricks for smoother film holder insertion/removal?

Also, though Ben's video of the first MKII showed the rear standard magnets on the inside, mine are on the outside and I wonder if this was a wholesale production change.

Thanks.

Maybe make a video of the problem?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hi again - here's a short clip... I am getting the hang of it, but that spring... (also, please disregard the flimsy tripod... I am on a short trip and forgot to bring a tripod so had to 'borrow' one from the local camera shop just to be able to play around, would never shoot with this!)
    Link to video

or http://risahorowitz.com/projects/ran...-8-10-load.MOV