Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Re: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Oh, boy. That doesn't sound good.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    Several detail on manufacture/assembly...
    wow, that's quite a collection of issues and I'd probably have sent it back.yup, sounds like they rushed that one off the floor.

Aside from lopping off one ear of my Gen 1, I'm more or less happy with the camera, and the weight was the only reason I got it as it will be more amenable to backpacking, than my Zone VI beast.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

They are small issues for a person who is familiar with wood working, so I would not return it if I can fix it. It will cost more to me and to them to do it. I just passed the comments to them for their consideration. I am sure the next ones will come fine.

P.S.: I do support their effort to promote lighter and lower cost cameras (that is why I bought an 4x5 MkII that came with problems also that were fixed by sending a replacement back. I also bought the 8x10 MkII with a reduction to 4x5, which they have not designed yet, and the 4x5 enlarger). I also like the fact that they are kind of teaming with Ilford (the loyal film producer) to promote LF photography. I also wish the best to them, and I understand that by publishing my comments publicly, it may be considered a bad thing. However, it will be a good thing because they will be forced to improve. I would not like them to gradually start shifting work to China.
    Last edited by pepeguitarra; 3-Apr-2019 at 06:32. Reason: Added P.S.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Handmade in Britain!

I have fiddled many British motorbikes where nearly every part was hand fitted, which means every part is custom...

I will wait for an independent review on youtube with extensive closeup images of all details before ordering a new Intrepid 8X10.

and they put the product on their website! with detailed pics...

I notice they have put a field shot of the item on their intro image, not good enough advertising, the guy looks bemused

2 weeks ago they had no picture of the 8X10 back

Perhaps emulate BSA advertising, which sold me as a teenager on British motorbikes...
    Tin Can

Well, my first car was a Triumph TR7. I hope that experience isn't indicative of what to expect with the new camera.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

The first cars I 'fixed' at age 17 were well worn, an Austin Healey 100/4 and a Triumph TR4. Our plan was to get them running and right after HS graduation drive them from Chicago straight to the California beaches.

The $100 Healey never went anywhere. The TR4 took off without a working clutch. We doubled clutched it to Texas where we finally found a clutch slave cylinder in a junkyard. Onwards, to the promised land. We never put the top up and refueled with a 5 gallon can while driving.

First thing we did was run into the sea and body surf...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Well, my first car was a Triumph TR7. I hope that experience isn't indicative of what to expect with the new camera.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    I'd probably have sent it back.
    Like Brexit: resubmission of the botch costs another pile of money, and you will wait for another few months for another frustrating outcome ...

At least we can watch a movie about how it used to be done.

Gandolfi History DVD.
    Tin Can

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

And how is it still done by some: Titan
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Intrepid Camera

All details and more images of the MK2 up on the site now: https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/product...id-8x10-camera