Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools: Cheap and disposable vs. the best you can find/afford?

Drew Wiley

Re: Tools: Cheap and disposable vs. the best you can find/afford?

Made little difference. Once the mfg was overseas, they cut all kinds of corners anyway and things were never the same. One of the biggest problems was non-standardization of replacement parts. That was the case for the kinds of equipment I distributed; but it also gives auto repairmen hell. I never referred to it as outsourcing. That's a deceptive term. It's actually bait and switch. I watched one local mfg of metal lathes go bust because he imported half his machine components, things didn't work right, and he couldn't figure out why because he insisted on using cheapo Chinese digital calipers that weren't accurate. He cancelled his order with me from Starrett, saved $200 dollars on an instrument, and lost 2 million bucks before declaring bankruptcy. Some people never learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Heat, bend, hack, saw, grind and weld a tool for the job at hand. Actually my favorite thing. As night foreman with a crew of 5 we always surprised day shift with our very out of the box results.
    And the screwdriver tip. For example a 1/2" wrench with a #2 screwdriver jammed against a nut becomes a 3/8" wrench. I learned from being a Gopher in a Harley shop as a kid. "Hey, Gopher! Gimmie a wrench!" "What kind?", I asked. "A big 'un. Ahm jess gonna use it for a hammer!"

Jac, I have never done the screwdriver/wrench trick. Really!

However, when I was 19 home alone working on my '67 Matchless G15 a car drove up. 2 guys and a girl got out. Left the car in the street. As all 3 approached the open garage, I picked up my biggest wrench. Perhaps 1-7/8" and stood up. They noticed the wrench and said, 'We just want to be friends.' They were older and bigger, I was very thin.

I quietly said, 'I don't need anymore friends'.

That stopped them and they left. They were dangerous.

This bike, that garage, different day. That's Bonnie and Sam the dog.
    A 1967 G15CSR Matchless I had just restored. New 2 part paint, seat cover, and engine overhaul.
    I never should have sold that bike.

11-G15 CSR Oil Change by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    And the screwdriver tip. For example a 1/2" wrench with a #2 screwdriver jammed against a nut becomes a 3/8" wrench. I learned from being a Gopher in a Harley shop as a kid. "Hey, Gopher! Gimmie a wrench!" "What kind?", I asked. "A big one. I'm gonna use it for a hammer!"
    Tin Can

Very different profession, but I miss some of the very high-quality tools I used to use repairing musical instruments. Very small screwdrivers for screws so small they don't even have a standard size measurement - they were all custom from the factory. There was only a couple tool manufacturers that catered to the specific market. My old boss was a founding member of the national association, back 40+ years ago, and taught me just about everything. He kinda wanted to leave the business to me but I wasn't really interested. It was a good summer job that I did for about 7 years, and put me through college.

Anyway, he had all the best tools you could get. It was nice always having exactly the right tool for the job. As a going-away present, he bought me a set of tools specifically for fixing flutes, which I still use on occasion. Bought a destroyed flute at a flea market a few months ago for $5 and fixed it up, ready to be used again. Just like old cameras, the classic band instruments made in the USA before everything got sent overseas were meant to last and could be repaired pretty much indefinitely. I regularly refurbed flutes, clarinets, and other instruments that were decades older than me. You had to have the right tools for the job though.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

45er

To the OP,

Because you have mentioned a specific make of low cost camera I feel it is worth saying that if you have access to basic tools and a little time to research the appropriate bits on this forum it may well be worth your while buying a low price donor camera or a set of bellows and ground glass to fit a camera you build yourself - perhaps you may be able to build it faster than the time you wait for a pre-built camera to arrive. A basic camera with limited movements is not a all that complicated a project and it is a very rewarding item to produce. Spend the money you may have used buying an expensive camera on glass.

When I sold Snap-On Tools I had a very unusual customer.

He made French Horns from scratch and demanded the best tools for every job.

One member here makes violins from scratch and repairs Stradivarius.

He once told me, hold this. He handed me a violin.

Then he said how did it feel to hold a million dollars...

Very glad he told me after he got it back in his hands!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Very different profession, but I miss some of the very high-quality tools I used to use repairing musical instruments. Very small screwdrivers for screws so small they don't even have a standard size measurement - they were all custom from the factory. There was only a couple tool manufacturers that catered to the specific market. My old boss was a founding member of the national association, back 40+ years ago, and taught me just about everything. He kinda wanted to leave the business to me but I wasn't really interested. It was a good summer job that I did for about 7 years, and put me through college.

Anyway, he had all the best tools you could get. It was nice always having exactly the right tool for the job. As a going-away present, he bought me a set of tools specifically for fixing flutes, which I still use on occasion. Bought a destroyed flute at a flea market a few months ago for $5 and fixed it up, ready to be used again. Just like old cameras, the classic band instruments made in the USA before everything got sent overseas were meant to last and could be repaired pretty much indefinitely. I regularly refurbed flutes, clarinets, and other instruments that were decades older than me. You had to have the right tools for the job though.
    Tin Can

The best tools aren't necessary the most expensive. Swap meets, auctions, estate sales etc... can yield very high quality older tools for a pittance and providing they aren't damaged or plumb worn out can be a joy to work with.
    I rescued a Disston hand saw, a real Disston built before HK Porter took over, from a swap meet for $5. It is a first class tool for sure!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Randy, one of my college friends wanted to make french horns for a living, and apprenticed with one of the big-name custom makers. Maybe the same one you sold tools to. Making instruments is on a whole other level! I just refurbed 'em. I've taken apart and deep cleaned many a french horn though - pain in the ass.

One of the forum members who makes violins is up here in the Atlanta area IIRC. Haven't seen him post lately though.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I'm not much of a woodworker, but I made one of these from plans. Whitehall Jr.™

I never used it as it is so light, but I like it hanging on my wall.

I wish I had youth and skills to make a Viking ship with an axe. Like this.

It would be handy for my funeral pyre.

Moe is a town in Norway.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Jac, I have never done the screwdriver/wrench trick. Really!

However, when I was 19 home alone working on my '67 Matchless G15 a car drove up. 2 guys and a girl got out. Left the car in the street. As all 3 approached the open garage, I picked up my biggest wrench. Perhaps 1-7/8" and stood up. They noticed the wrench and said, 'We just want to be friends.' They were older and bigger, I was very thin.

I quietly said, 'I don't need anymore friends'.

That stopped them and they left. They were dangerous.

This bike, that garage, different day. That's Bonnie and Sam the dog.
    A 1967 G15CSR Matchless I had just restored. New 2 part paint, seat cover, and engine overhaul.
    I never should have sold that bike.
    That's a terrific photo, Randy!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know