Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V600 cannot scan 4x5 negatives?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

V600 cannot scan 4x5 negatives?

Is this true? The V600 doesn't come with the 4x5 trays to scan these LF negatives? From the product description I see it only comes with trays for 35mm and 120. I would have to buy a V800 and the price really goes up $715.25 vs $189.99 for the V600 right now on B&H. I was just about to place the order when I saw this. Have any of you figure out a way to scan 4x5 negatives on the V600 and if so, are you happy with the results?

Thanks.
    --Mario

Re: V600 cannot scan 4x5 negatives?

Yes. Doesn't have the square footage/area required to scan the 4x5 film.

Not total area but the film scanning area: it's a narrow strip on the middle of the scanner
    Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Is this true? The V600 doesn't come with the 4x5 trays to scan these LF negatives? From the product description I see it only comes with trays for 35mm and 120. I would have to buy a V800 and the price really goes up $715.25 vs $189.99 for the V600 right now on B&H. I was just about to place the order when I saw this. Have any of you figure out a way to scan 4x5 negatives on the V600 and if so, are you happy with the results?

Thanks.
    Sent using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Yes. Doesn't have the square footage/area required to scan the 4x5 film.

Not total area but the film scanning area: it's a narrow strip on the middle of the scanner.
    I don't understand? What do you mean by film scanning area? I use an old 3200 and a 4x5 sheet is fine. Both the 3200 and the V600 appear to be the same size (and similar scanning area).
    --Mario

I don't understand? What do you mean by film scanning area? I use an old 3200 and a 4x5 sheet is fine. Both the 3200 and the V600 appear to be the same size (and similar scanning area).
    They're the same size as a whole and they scan the same size reflective area, but there's a smaller, narrower window for illuminating and scanning negatives on the V600 than on the 3200.

I'll be very interested in the feedback as well--I just joined a local community darkroom that has only a V600. In doing some background work, I did run across a Youtube video of a young man who made his own 4x5 "tray" from a repurposed desk mat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFD0MwxniNM

For myself, I'm not sure if the approach will be an improvement over a DSLR "scan," but I'm probably going to give it a shot.

Macandal, if your 3200 serves you well, just use it. I did replace my 2400 with a 700, but for my level of photography there was little improvement in scanning 4x5 negatives. If you have other reasons for upgrading to a V600, you can improvise film holders from mat board to scan each half of the 4x5 film, and stitch the halves together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    ... and stitch the halves together.
    I don't want to do this.

I might keep my 3200 for now or see if I can add an additional $500 so I can get the V800.

If I keep my 3200, I will need a third-party software to use because Epson no longer supports a driver for this scanner. If you can recommend a software to get, I'm all ears.

Thanks.
    --Mario

I don't want to do this.

I might keep my 3200 for now or see if I can add an additional $500 so I can get the V800.

If I keep my 3200, I will need a third-party software to use because Epson no longer supports a driver for this scanner. If you can recommend a software to get, I'm all ears.

Thanks.
    What OS do you have?
    I have a 3200 and got it and Epson Scan software to work on Windows 7 by a well known trick using the 4990 drivers.
    I believe the same trick will work with Windows 8, not sure about Windows 10 though; although compatibility mode might help with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Dake View Post
    What OS do you have?
    I have the latest X OS. What are we up to? "Raccoon"? Whatever it is, that's what I'm running. I have a mac, by the way.

Thanks.
    --Mario

I have the latest X OS. What are we up to? "Raccoon"? Whatever it is, that's what I'm running. I have a mac, by the way.

Thanks.
    Oh, Mac OS.
    Sorry can't help with that one.
    Good luck, I am happy with my 3200 results.