Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reminiscing About View Camera's Past.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Reminiscing About View Camera's Past.

Quote Originally Posted by docw View Post
    Maybe... but wasn't he nuts?
    Technically, yes. But technically, aren't we all?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Not replaced... Even in it's heyday, LF was vastly outnumbered by amateur formats... (Think Instamatics, disposables, polaroids, home movies, etc...) ...Steve K
    But all of those were dwarfed (can we still say that?) by the use of film in the motion picture industry, most on film reels going to theaters. The military might come a distant runner-up.

Things are still happening. We cannot properly imagine the future -- figuring out what is happening today is tough enough! Yes, we are becoming 'buried' in images...but not for the first time. Our societies have already experienced a deluge from no photographic images to photographic images being common place. In comparison, the present deluge will probably be just a bit a blip on the historical record, even if it is now reaching every corner of Earth. We may live long enough to experience the next historic revolution in image-making -- that might be sparked by the present ubiquitousness of the digital image...or be driven by issues we can not yet imagine.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Eric Woodbury

Wasn't Van Gogh nuts because of the cadmium in the paint? Heavy metal poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    There is no question humanity is swimming in an ocean of electronic images and it appears this ocean of images has drowned out those very few images that are special.
    Similarly the proliferation of text might seem to have drowned out the gems of literature. As much as one might wish to believe he is a good judge of quality, do we not still rely upon the arbiters to pare the chaos, just as we did before the 'net opened the gates to everyone? Some consider the 'net the liberation of democracy, but there are profound arguments that democracy has nothing to offer to critical judgement in the arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    Wasn't Van Gogh nuts because of the cadmium in the paint? Heavy metal poisoning.
    Cadmium, lead, or mercury, all were used in paint at the time. Oil paint solvents could do it too. Today it's pretty much accepted that he had temporal lobe epilepsy, which can drive you nuts, and any of the above can help lead to that.

Oh, no! We're caught in thread drift!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I totally agree with the last sentence!
    I concur.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Similarly the proliferation of text might seem to have drowned out the gems of literature. As much as one might wish to believe he is a good judge of quality, do we not still rely upon the arbiters to pare the chaos, just as we did before the 'net opened the gates to everyone? Some consider the 'net the liberation of democracy, but there are profound arguments that democracy has nothing to offer to critical judgement in the arts.
    Ain't that the Truth.
    But, there are powerful people who say there is no abject Truth, hence the nihilistic chaos.

Literature isn't taught in high schools, at least not in CA, and only a small amount of it in the English Dept.'s at Universities.
    Students would be better off taking a course in Classical Studies if they want to experience Literature.
    If any courses are offered.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Cadmium, lead, or mercury, all were used in paint at the time. Oil paint solvents could do it too. Today it's pretty much accepted that he had temporal lobe epilepsy, which can drive you nuts, and any of the above can help lead to that.
    I think it is a negative distraction to attribute van Gogh's work to mental disorders. The fact that he persisted to make art should be understood as a great accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    But, there are powerful people who say there is no abject Truth, hence the nihilistic chaos.
    Those temporal powers exist as vapors. Prevailing reason will erase them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I think it is a negative distraction to attribute van Gogh's work to mental disorders...
    Trying to understand something that had a major impact on his life, work, and death isn't meant as an insult.