Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Types of Film Holders

Re: Types of Film Holders

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    There is a Japanese brand that all the cool kids seem to be using these days, but I don't remember the name.
    Shenhao is another, but I don't know how cool they are.

Has Toyo fixed the ‘smell’ problem?

Are they still in production?

If so what sizes?

I have collected many holder types from Hasselblad to 14x17 over the last 7 years.

For a while is was easy to find 2x3 NOS.

But I am not an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Per Madsen View Post
    The brand are Toyo.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by docw View Post
    I need to do some shopping for holders (mainly 8x10) and I don't really know the differences among them. I do know that I don't like holders which have a metal top to the slide. I prefer the plastic.
    As has been pointed out, there is no significant difference between the 3 plastic domestic film holders as they were all made by the same factory. If you want the ones with the plastic handles, then just buy those!

Some earlier plastic film holders have painted sheet metal as the inner flat where the film sits. Later versions of plastic film holders are made with grained finished aluminum that is black anodized. The grained finish can scratch film as the film is being loaded or unloaded. The painted sheet metal flat has a lower tendency to scratch film during the loading-unloading process.

Otherwise all three are pretty much the same.

Bernice

FWIW I've never seen a Riteway 8x10 holder. Old style Riteway 4x5s are among my favorites, btw.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    As has been pointed out, there is no significant difference between the 3 plastic domestic film holders as they were all made by the same factory. If you want the ones with the plastic handles, then just buy those!
    Thanks, Luis.

Let me make sure I have this straight. Riteway, Lisco, and Fidelity are all exactly the same, regardless of whether they are "Elite," except some have plastic handles and some don't. Is that correct? If it is, then there is no particular name I can use to search specifically for the ones with plastic handles. I will just do a general search and look for those little white handles.

Has no one else had the problem of the metal handles coming off? Is it just me (again)?

Thanks, Luis.

Let me make sure I have this straight. Riteway, Lisco, and Fidelity are all exactly the same, regardless of whether they are "Elite," except some have plastic handles and some don't. Is that correct? If it is, then there is no particular name I can use to search specifically for the ones with plastic handles. I will just do a general search and look for those little white handles.

Has no one else had the problem of the metal handles coming off? Is it just me (again)?
    No, there were differences in the surface finish between the three and the last Riteway had an automatic locking system for the slide, didn’t work on Linhof cameras, and a built-in numbering wheel.

Thanks, Luis.

Don't make it harder than it is, go with either Lisco or Fidelity all plastic. Elite, Regal II, Deluxe and other names are mostly marketing and may reflect some minor changes in the finish of the holder (not the slide). Just don't pay stupid money for any of them.

I've got some 30 plus 8x10 plastic holders and don't have a clue as to what name is on them, and they all work!

Don't make it harder than it is, go with either Lisco or Fidelity all plastic. Elite, Regal II, Deluxe and other names are mostly marketing and may reflect some minor changes in the finish of the holder (not the slide). Just don't pay stupid money for any of them.

I've got some 30 plus 8x10 plastic holders and don't have a clue as to what name is on them, and they all work!
    Luis, the reason I started this little search is because I have at least half a dozen 4x5 holders and a few 8x10 holders with metal handles that have become detached. They are not easy to put back. The ones with plastic handles are all fine. So I don't really care who makes them and I had no idea they were all made in the same way by the same company. "Plastic handles" is not a useful search term and although a definitive name like "Beeblebrox II Elite" would have been useful, I guess it really doesn't matter. I am after any holder with a plastic handle!

Thanks for your help.

+ about 100.

Film holders are much the SAME, they all work if the film holder is in good condition. Condition of the holder is FAR more relevant than the brand... which are much the same. Have about 50+ 5x7 plastic film holders of different brands and vintage, they ALL work fine. Have about 20 13x18cm plastic film holders including Linhof thick pressure plate holders, they ALL work fine. No significant functional difference at all.

As for the metal handle dark slides, they work fine. What can happen, some users abuse them causing the metal bar with handle to loosen or come off. The metal bar can be crimped back on, problem solved.

One serious concern is dust, which must be managed and properly controlled or sad face will result post film development. Light leaks is the other. This is often due to wore out tape at the film holder flap. The tape can be replaced as needed. The tape that works well for replacement is black book binding tape. Other causes of light leaks is a wore out light trap where the dark slide lives then exits as the exposure is made. Putting the dark cloth over this area of the film holder before removing the dark slide can help some what to reduce the risk of light leaks. Keep the dark slides as clean as possible due to the risk of transferring dirt and other abrasive matter into the dark slide light trap. Other film holder surprises, not properly seating the film holder into the camera film back. Make absolute sure the film holder is locked into the camera film back slot and flat before trying to remove the dark slide.

Beyond these common sheet film holder issues, film flatness in holder which is should be addressed separately from film holder brand and basic film holder function.

Bernice