Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading 120 Onto SS Reel

Scott Davis

Loading 120 Onto SS Reel

I'm a big fan of the Hewes and Jobo SS reels. I've got some of both. The Jobos have a better spring clip in the center that make it easier to get the film started right. They're also (like the Hewes) a heavier gauge of steel, so they don't bend so easily. I learned my lesson with cheap SS reels when I bought some that had bad welds between the coils and the support frame. The excess solder material formed bumps in the film path on the reel which forced the film to press against itself in spots. It ruined several frames. I'll never try to save money on film reels again.

I would second the advice about proper loading technique. You want to have a slight curve on the film across the short axis of the roll so that as you wind it onto the reel, and hold your hand that has the free end of the film a little ways away from the reel so the film that you are loading onto the reel is going on straight.

Loading 120 Onto SS Reel

another vote for Hewes

Loading 120 Onto SS Reel

Brian,

I love my stainless reels. I have a whole bunch, most of which I was given (people closing up darkrooms, my old high school, etc.) and some I bought. I don't know all of the brands, and that doesnt matter much. The only problem I've ever had was on a Nikkor stainless reel.

My all time favorite for developing rollfilm is the Jobo 1500 series tank and reels. Only takes 470mL for inversion, and the reels are super easy and quick to load. It also drains and fills a LOT faster than stainless and quite a bit faster than most other plastic.

BTW, currently being a college photo student, I can tell you that colleges are now suggesting plastic as opposed to stainless.

-Jason

Loading 120 Onto SS Reel

I have made my (meager) living since the 1960's exposing and developing film full time. The 120 rolls I have souped on stainless reels must number in the tens of thousands.

I say all this simply to underscore my recommendation that Hewes reels are absolutely the very finest ever made. To the extent that you can afford to, throw out everything you have and re-equip with Hewes exclusively. Life is too short to horse around with inferior equipment.

My major tip in using them is to shut off the vent fan, running water and stereo to achieve absolute dead silence in the darkroom. Then carefully listen to the film being loaded onto the reel. You will hear when something first begins to go wrong and can correct it before the edge of the film looks like lasagna.

After the film is loaded correctly, you should be able to push and pull on the tail and move the film in and out slightly. If it is perfectly tight in the reel, it is probably cross-threaded somewhere.