Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saturday was knew of those days you should just stay in bed!

Re: Saturday was knew of those days you should just stay in bed!

When my daughter was married Monte Zucker and Clay Blackwell were the photographers. We had the wedding in a major hotel in Morristown, NJ.

The doorway into the ballroom had a small window placed well above eye level.

As they were shooting the wedding party we heard a loud crash from just outside the door.

We all ran to see what happened and found a photographer that was on the way to shoot another wedding on the floor with his equipment scattered around him! When asked what happened he said that he saw Monte and Clay going in the ballroom and he wanted to see what was happening. So he stood on his camera case, looked through the window and fell off!

I was kicking myself as when we booked the affair I asked if we could have bleacher seats at one end of the room so I could sell tickets to photographers who would pay to watch Monte and Clay shoot. But my wife, daughter and the hotel all said NO!! Those tickets could have paid for the whole affair!

I embrace the questions, especially from the good looking women! But seriously, humans like to talk and interact. Whether you are a vintage motorcycle rider (check), mule rider (check), hiker (and so on)....some people want to approach you as you busily fill your tank, try to get your mule into the trailer, or are rushing to catch a sunset. If you really want to draw a crowd with LF, try doing wetplate. You'll have a circle of expectant, smiling people around in in no time, ready for their free lesson!

I basically just keep working if it's time critical, and they get the idea. An example is during Christmas, where we have a huge street fair. Throngs of people walking past hundreds of tents of crafts, I'm not sure why my wife and I go. But this guy looked me in the eye as I was moving in the flow of hundreds of bodies, and said, "can I ask you a question?" (Um...he just did...slowing down) "how old is your camera?" me: not old, it's digital, but this is an old 1950s lens. (trying to keep walking) "why do you use old lenses?" Um...I just like their look on the photos...they're good. (speeding up my walk and turning away). He felt too much like a salesman about to hand me a tract for condos, so I moved on. But LF is usually pretty slow, so I often will give them more time and dialog.

It is kinda fun talking about it. Especially because compared to their knowledge (most of them) you sound like a magician from the days of old and appear to know more about "real" photography than most know about anything at all. Even themselves. It is then you realize how little you really know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    When my daughter was married Monte Zucker and Clay Blackwell were the photographers. We had the wedding in a major hotel in Morristown, NJ.

The doorway into the ballroom had a small window placed well above eye level.

As they were shooting the wedding party we heard a loud crash from just outside the door.

We all ran to see what happened and found a photographer that was on the way to shoot another wedding on the floor with his equipment scattered around him! When asked what happened he said that he saw Monte and Clay going in the ballroom and he wanted to see what was happening. So he stood on his camera case, looked through the window and fell off!

I was kicking myself as when we booked the affair I asked if we could have bleacher seats at one end of the room so I could sell tickets to photographers who would pay to watch Monte and Clay shoot. But my wife, daughter and the hotel all said NO!! Those tickets could have paid for the whole affair!
    That is a bit extreme! I try not to be such a noodge when it comes to celebrities. They are people just like us. Just get paid better than most of us do.