Hi Folks,

I go hiking with my Chamonix 045n-2 and want to lighten my load. I have fairly light camping kit/boots and to reduce weight any further probably means reducing the weight of my tripod.

I currently use a Manfrotto 055MF4, that weights 2Kg, purchased back in 2008. It has a payload of 7Kg and my head, which I don't want to change, is an Arca Swiss Z1, weighing 600g. My heaviest lens is a 90mm f6.8, so I guess the weight of the camera + heaviest lens + head is around 3 kg. Pretty close to probably what is a "safe" limit?

I'm thinking of a Gitzo 2545T, weighing 1.3 Kg, with 12 Kg payload. Hell of a cost to save 700g, around £1/g!!

My question is whether moving to such a light tripod might take away some stability? Could it end up "top-heavy" and more susceptible to wind/topple over. I do all I can to try to prevent this anyhow, in terms of using my slight frame to act as a windshield, but whn your head is in the "hood" that's not always so easy!!

Anyone know if you can attach spiked feet to that particular model? Also, without raising the centre column, max height is 134 cm. Probably OK, but how stable is it to raise that column. I've always though it's generally a useless tool if you want stability.

I had a Feisol before the Manfrotto and never liked it - legs not firm at all. Have they improved much? Is the Feisol Tournament 3442 OK with a light wooden field camera?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Graham