Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First LF purchase

First LF purchase

I'm getting close to making a jump into the world of LF photography and I'm looking for some advice.

I was thinking of trying to get a speed or crown graphic, but I think I'm probably going to end up wanting to use more movements than available on the press cameras. So I'm no thinking of getting a calumet 540 - there is one on KEH at the moment for what I think is an ok price. Does anyone have any links to specific info about this model, or can anyone make any comments about it? Does this calumet have an international back that will accept roll backs, polariod film holders etc?

I just bought a lens on ebay - sort of an impulse purchase. To be honest I didn't really research it properly so I have no idea if it will be any use:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7542733284

As you can see it was cheap so either way it's not too big a deal. Does this lens actually have a shutter though, or do I have to buy one aswell? Anyone got any info about coverage (I'm guessing I wont be able to use too much movement with it) on 4x5 (assuming it is a large format lens)? Seeing as how cheap it was I guess the optics aren't that great, but I'm hoping it'll be ok to use when I get it (at least in some form) for experimentation and learning.

thanks
    tim

First LF purchase

tim, firstly, WELCOME to the wonderful and wonderfully addictive world of big film. i guarantee that once you see your first perfectly executed transparency on a light table, you'll why you didn't make the jump sooner.

as to your lens purchase, the first thing you'll likely need to do is have the shutter CLA'd. i've give Carol Miller at Flutot's a call. if you can't get her, Paul Ebel is also good. i'm sure others will chime in here, but i don't think the lens you bought will cover 4x5. a great table to check most modern lenses' coverage limits can be found here.

good luck, and have fun!
    scott

First LF purchase

hey tim...

i just re-read your question. the lens is in fact in a shutter... a compur shutter.

there's a couple of other atricles you should definately check out:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer/

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/how-to-operate.html

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

First LF purchase

The Tessar 10,5cm lens is a "normal" lens for a 6x9cm camera - either a rollfilm camera, or a 6.5x9cm plate camera. The coverage is no more than it must be for those cameras, so it won't cover 4x5" - sorry. The sharpness is great, it just won't cover.

Furthermore since it's old enough to be marked in cm (and not mm), there is a possibility that the shutter threads will be "unstandard". But my guess is that it's a Compur #0 with standard threads, so at the very least you have a fine shutter! So now you can look for a 15cm Tessar or Skopar, or Symmar, or perhaps something different. I recently bought a 121mm Leitmeyr Weitwinkelanastigmat in one auction amd a 90mm Angulon with damaged glass in another, and ended up with a very fine WA lens for 5x7" for very little money!

First LF purchase

Thanks for the answers on the lens. Any thoughts the calumet 54o?

thanks

tim

First LF purchase

B efore buying any more equipment may I suggest doing some reading, There are several free articles on our web site

www.viewcamera.com

in the free articles section.

Here are some books

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone

Using the View Camera that I wrote

When people make camera and/or lens recommendations to you ask them what they photograph. This will help you decide if their answers are relevant to what you will be doing.

Before you buy a camera you need to make several decisions and the article on our web site called Getting Started in Large Format wqill help with this process.

steve simmons

First LF purchase

No idea about the camera but have you watched Ebay for a while? Keh is great but the prices seem to be better on ebay most of the time.

STOP IMPULSE BUYING, it is the surest way to an empty wallet and not having enough for what you need. In other words it is the surest way to frustration before you start. Save the frustration for the weenie who sticks his camera phone in front of your lens to take a shot just like the "pro with the big camera".

Sit down, figure what you need and then buy. In my mind LF is the most rewarding format in photography, and the most addictive. Welcome.

First LF purchase

I used a 540 while I attened Brooks, its a good little camera with lots of movements. Very good for general and small product photography with 90mm (4 inch) to 300mm (12 inch) lenses. Some wide angle work needs the bag bellows for movements, and the camera will not compress enough for a 75mm (3 inch) lens without the recessed lens board.

John Barnes

First LF purchase

Having gone through this a few years ago, I'd suggest getting a camera that is easy to haul around and use if you plan to use it in the field. In reality, I could get along with front rise/fall and front tilt (although, rear tilt is nice). I'd prefer to sacrifice extreme movements for portability personally. The truth is that there is a fair amount learning that needs to happen and an easily portable camera will be used more. I'd also recommend getting a decent, relatively recent vintage 135mm or 150mm lens and stick with it. I had enough money to get a new Tachihara (I did not care about roll film backs) and a used 150mm and lots of film holders. It was definately the right decision for me. If I had a more limited budget, I'd have gone with the Crown Graphic and expected to upgrade at some point. For reference, I shoot mainly outdoors. If you shoot outdoors and expect to set up and take down your equipment away from a car, this is probably reasonable advice. If long lenses and studio work is more to your liking (or stick near the car), then forget what I said (-:

First LF purchase

Hi Tim,

Carol Flutot Miller here, I'm out here in California and you can
    find me at: www.flutotscamerarepair.com

Contact me if your shutter needs a CLA!