I've taught photography at the university undergraduate level for many years. Throughout this time my teaching style has varied a bit but I remain adament that students must learn by doing. Listening to me accomplishes very little but doing something with me or by yourself places the whole process in an intuitive mode. Making art is not an intellectual pursuit. It is a pursuit of the heart. Working in the darkroom today I began ruminating about my ideas and what the rest of the world thinks. What do you think undergrad photo students should be doing? If you were formally trained what were your best assignments? When were you the most challenged? If you have learned from experience what do you think university photo students need to know and to do? I begin every semester by saying,"No one ever learned how to hit a baseball out of the park by reading a book of theory on batting. They learned how to hit the ball out of the park by spending countless hours in a batting cage." I'm not anti-intellectual, I just feel that by studying something from an academic point of view provides knowledge about that thing. The ability to do that thing is comletely experiential. I would appreciate your ideas.