Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: seeing the change since weston shot it/there

seeing the change since weston shot it/there

hello-

first let me state that for over an hour or so i've been reading older posts of similar topics. i didn't see anything specific.

i'm wondering how many people have gone looking for specific locations where he shot some of his images? were you able to find any of these places?

for me it's not so much as to copy the image, however i will take photographs for myself(sort of a personal visual diary). it's mostly to stand in the same location to see the beauty in person. also, i'd like to see how the place has changed over time. i've been to point lobos on a quick trip. i didn't have the time nor the ability to seek out certain photographs he made to see their change. i was too busy shooting what was interesting to myself. it would be nice to see the cypress after all these years - like this photographer did: http://fototapeta.art.pl/2003/wste.php

this topic isn't just about point lobos. there certainly are many locations that he visited that have changed drastically or naturally over time.

any comments greatly appreciated.

thank you for your time.

I visited Point Lobos but kept tripping over the ropes and fences. I visited Yosemite and saw a tree Weston might have photographed, but I'm not sure. I ate some funky shaped peppers and I have a couple of eggplants and Natilus shells around the house. And I used the Escuadado just a few minutes ago...

The most dramatic change was to Claris. She just passed away last year but my friend visted with her a couple of years ago - still a bohemian til the end.

IMHO, his best work was his latest, done from the road. And it was remarkably post-modern. The brands on the signs may have changed, but its still out there.

hello-

thanks for your comments. it's nice to know there are some still interested and have some use of things that were used for photographs.

to my knowledge, charis has not passed away. someone i speak with about once a month that is very close with her stated that she was doing well. we're due for another conversation.

Opps. You're right, she's still around, which is pretty great.

Personally, while I appreciate being inspired by the work of the likes of Weson and Adams, and their interpretations of the areas they were fond of photographing, I've never made an attempt to search out specific locations. I think it is far more fruitful to respond to those areas yourself, and find your own scenes that resonate for you.

I'm glad to hear that Claris is still alive and well. She was part of an important era. Wouldn't it be great to chat with her over tea (or, wine) some evening?

There's a spot in Brooklyn that he photographed that I've been tempted to visit with the 8x10" camera, but mainly because it is something that Weston photographed that is familiar to me, but I haven't done it yet. It would have been easier while I still lived in Brooklyn, but I didn't know the photograph at the time.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I photographed that spot in Brooklyn many times ... I used to live a few blocks from there. I couldn't believe it when a few years later I saw Weston had photographed there.

Other than that, having the occasional bell pepper in my salad is about as far as it goes.

I have taken photographs at Point Lobos many times, and on three occasion have later found that I shot I had taken looked almost exactly like a composition of Edward's. I sometimes think he photographed every square inch of Point Lobos. He certainly knew it beter than anyone; it was pretty much his back yard.

Frank,

I suggest you do your homework before making yourself appear like an idiot. Not only is Edward's second wife still alive and doing well, you do not even know her name. As Nurvanna pointed out to you her name is Charis. You do photograpers and others who view this forum a disservice with comments such as yours.
    As for Point Lobos, it is a wonderful place. One can discover many of the locations where Edward worked if one looks carefully. Unfortunately many of the areas he roamed are off limits now in order to protect the reserve. I would recommend any photographer passing through Carmel stop if for only a few hours. You will come away with a better understanding of what Edward did there and the great photographer he was.

Chandler,
    Still squeamish after Dad photographed you and your pee-pee in the corner?

Frank