Hello,
I guess this has been covered before and I am grateful if someone will point me to the correct thread, because so far I have not been able to find the answers I am needing.
I have a lovely english half plate mahogany camera, and I normally use it with a 5x4 reducing back. It's a great back which fits the camera without any alterations to the original spec whatsoever. However my reducing back is made with a very heavy cast iron darkslide holder so I want to go back to use the original GG and the half plate mahogany slides. I have two. Book form.
I understand that these were made for glass negs so I need to use a cut-to-size perspex/glass piece onto which i must attach the film. So as to replicate the thickness of the glass negs I presume.
My questions are:
how thick should this piece of perspex/glass be? I have been told 0.5 mm... is that right?
and how to attach the film to it? What is this "jam" method I read about?
Some american threads mention "film sheaths" (there are several for sale on ebay usa but none in uk) are these a possible solution?
Any advice much appreciated.
PS
I also want to do daguerreotypes with these darkslides. I think a half plate size daguerreotype should be a wonderful thing to hold...