Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conceptual Photography

Conceptual Photography

Am I the only one who really SAW things in the frames? Wait. Oh, sorry. The Who are playing on TV at the moment. It's just a flashback. NEVERMIND! (Said Rosanna Danna Danna style)

Conceptual Photography

Oy, it's Pink Floyd! I need sleep.

Conceptual Photography

I'm confused ....... if he doesn't use film in the camera, wouldn't the prints be all black? Hmm, maybe he doesn't turn the light on when exposing the paper......

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Conceptual Photography

"Because of the restrictions that film has placed on the creative process since the invention of photography, conceptual photography is made with no film in the camera."

We may all laugh now, but this may be the only form of LF photography available to us after the digital revolution is complete and they stop making film!
    Brian Vuillemenot

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Conceptual Photography

This reminds me of a bicycle mechanic and his inventions.

I do have to agree with the explanation of conceptual photography's import, though.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Conceptual Photography

I think this qualifies more as contemptual than conceptual photography. Actually, I found the best of the conceptual photography of the 70's/'80's to be quite intelligent and intellectually-challenging; a very underappreciated little branch of the art tree. Could be quite beautiful, too. Unfortunately, by its nature, it was too easy to imitate or parody without ever understanding what it was trying to do.

"I'm confused ... if he doesn't use film in the camera, wouldn't the prints be all black? Hmm, maybe he doesn't turn the light on when exposing the paper..."

It seems obvious to me. He's not using transparancy film, rather than not using negative film.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Conceptual Photography

it's conceptual alright. but not new. he's basically ripping off a famous painting from 30 or 40 years ago (sorry, i meant "appropriating"). someone here must remember who the artist was ... it slipped my mind. the concept was also famously played out (or not) in the famously silent John Cage composition, titled by its exact duration.

what i like about the series is that if his tongue is in fact planted in his cheek, we can't tell from his captions. so there's no way to know if the photographer is in on the joke or not.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Conceptual Photography

paulr, read the photographer's explanation of his work:
    If you seek a deeper understanding of the true import of this artistic breakthrough, please click here for an explanation.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Conceptual Photography

Like Larry the cable guy says " I don't care who you are, now that's funny."

Conceptual Photography

Paul, that would be Rauschenberg; interestingly he did white paintings even before Cage came with his silent music. They taught at the same place in those days (Black Mountain College).

As to Feinman, his stuff is so cheesy that if he'd be a painter, he'd be Kincaid. For laughs, I'd like to see *talented* people lampooning the art world, not this tedious 'my 6 year old could do that' type of drivel...