Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Where to start? Is it too late to start? Beginner seeking advice.

Re: Where to start? Is it too late to start? Beginner seeking advice.

Lots of good suggestions and info here so far.
    I am absolutely new to 4x5, I bought my first lf camera last summer and my decision about which camera was was based on what I wanted to photograph and my budget.

So, I bought an Intrepid. There certainly are better cameras out there but I wanted something to hike with which meant light weight and my budget was fairly small so that ruled out, for me, a lot of options. And, frankly, I wanted an actually new camera.

With the pound vs dollar rate at the time I paid, I was all in for camera, lens, film holders, chemicals, a daylight tank, and some film at about $500 USD.

I am still happy with that choice. I am NOT saying you need to or should make that same choice, I am suggesting that you consider what you'll want to photograph and that consideration ought to help you sort through the options.

If buying used is where you end up at, I will say that I think condition trumps brand almost every time.

One other thing, for me, is that none of my photographic equipment is a financial investment. It all is an investment towards, well, joy. I am not looking to make money with or from my photography, so the return for the money I spend on it is measured in satisfaction from engaging in this hobby of mine, the pleasure found in seeing some well made photo of mine hanging on a wall--or refrigerator , and, largely, in the enjoyment of getting away from all the day to day BS that can surround us.

The OP mentions university: are you lucky enough to have a class available for LF photography? If so, I would suggest taking it. You'd get the chance to use a 4x5 camera and get a feel for what that is like and it becomes much easier, I think, to learn when you have the chance to do so in real life.

Good luck!
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Never too late or too old to start.

You could spend very little.

Buy any size X-Ray film. Find a cardboard box. Make a pinhole. Shoot a picture. Develop and contact print.

Repeat until you want something different.

Not better.
    Yup!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

No activity from the OP for 36.5 hours, since the initial query. I hope we didn't overwhelm him/her. Much good information given here. Surely the OP will respond with answers to questions and more information soon so we can better focus our advice.

I just did a search for "strayblank" and found new registration on at least four forums including this one as of yesterday or at least within this month. So he/she may be busy researching other subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    In the USAF photo school at Lowry AFB in the early 60s they gave us 810 Deardorffs to start and learn on. A 45 came later! 35 and MF were not part of the course!
    With respect I doubt our friend is working with the budget of the Air Force. But I wish I was!

-Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dunn View Post
    With respect I doubt our friend is working with the budget of the Air Force. But I wish I was!

-Joshua
    Might not have as much but they gave us very old cameras and one old lens and tripod. Certainly not state of the art in the early 60s! In fact the stuff was older then the USAF when we were issued it!

Quote Originally Posted by ventdesable View Post
    Hello,

I disagree on the first part : learning on an 8x10 is a lot easier than 4x5. It is due to the ground glass size. Comfortable on an 8x10, tinier on a 4x5 ;-). But I do agree with the rest of it. Every thing else is a lot more complicated and expensive.

J
    That may be true but given the cost difference between 4x5 and 8x10, from cameras to lenses, tripods and not to mention learning to process the film, I would always suggest starting with 4x5. Especially given that the in the original post explained a concern for keeping costs down.

-Joshua

Rob Simmons

My first was a Crown Graphic. Great simple camera and it comes with the lens. Simple movements and a cheap way to get into it. Once you decided you want to go deeper, sell the Crown Graphic and get a nice field camera.

Quote Originally Posted by consummate_fritterer View Post
    No activity from the OP for 36.5 hours, since the initial query. I hope we didn't overwhelm him/her. Much good information given here. Surely the OP will respond with answers to questions and more information soon so we can better focus our advice.

I just did a search for "strayblank" and found new registration on at least four forums including this one as of yesterday or at least within this month. So he/she may be busy researching other subjects.
    Or, maybe just somebody who has no interest in this subject, but wants to poke a finger in a lot of pies...

There are a lot of weird people in the world....

MMMmmm... think about it .....