Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The best 8x10 field camera?

The best 8x10 field camera?

Since it was my off the cuff stab at photo-humor that is responsible for this delightful voyage into the OT catagory I should explain that I was only trying to give some poor unfortunate rich dentist a taste of what its like when shooting a view camera. I could have easily suggested
    "Pardon me, but is that an Anthony Scovill?" or "...an Ernemann?" but many might be unaware of those brands and the humor would be lost (well its already is lost, but it would be lost-er)

Actually these days you'd get better milage asking the Hassy wielding dentist

"Pardon me, is that a digital?"

When I'm asked if my 'dorff is a digital camera I reply that yes, in fact it is---I set the f/stop with my digits, pull the dark slide with my digits and press the cable release with my big digit;-)

Oh, and Dan Smith is right about all that Deardorff stuff.

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

JK: Be careful not to harass your dentist while in the chair, lest he pull out his 8x10 Deardorff to do your intraoral photographs with a 6" diameter lens. Open widie! Dentists aren't to be messed with. I made a huge mistake once by making a low offer my dentist's sports car that was for sale. Funny how all of a sudden I needed a couple crowns. $$$$

jj

Not to worry, my Dentist is also my Brother-in-law. BTW he just got a new digital camera;-)
    FWIW I sold my Hassy 500M in order to buy the V8 'dorff. The Hassy was a fine camera but I've never regretted the change--but that should be a different thread, right?

Sid

I suggest getting either a Calumet Green Monster or an Ansco . Both are great values---maybe the best values for 8x10s right now. Shoot 'em and see what happens. OTOH, If you're a wealthy dentist I suggest going to a good camera show or a well stocked dealer and checking out the Canhams , Ebonys and Wehmans and the products of whoever else is making new 8x10s these days and try out whatever you think you'll like using. If its not love at first sight, give a 'dorff a try!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I like my 8x10 ShenHao. It's quite rigid and posesses lots of movements and extension. I decided that it was wiser to spend the same money on a new camera made of Teak and Titanium, instead of an older used Dorff. If there had been a way to see and try the Dorff first, I might have chosen one instead - but I didn't trust eBay enough.

I'd rather have an Arca Swiss (I hate opening and closing field cameras), but decided to spend the money on other things.

jj, it was a joke. If you didn't get it ok, but, wow, how rude can you get? Take the pickle out of your arse, apologize and move on.

Don said "jj, it was a joke. If you didn't get it ok, but, wow, how rude can you get? Take the pickle out of your arse, apologize and move on."

To what were you refering, most sensitive soul? What do you call rude? What brings angst from me to you? Type carefully, for I don't want you to bruise your fingers in response. If you prefer, you can have your Mum be an intermediary.

I am totally confused here. For years I have thoroughly believed that I was a humble woodworker/carpenter, not rich mind you, just earning a decent living. Now I find out that I have an alter persona sharing my skin who is a Rich Dentist! BUMMER!

When I'm not exposing film in my Ebony which is about 95% of the time, I do use a hassey 503cw though I don"t always remember doing so. There has even been roll film turn up that I am at a complete loss as to how it got exposed. Could it be, thats when the Rich Dentist Guy takes over? Where would the rich half keep his money? I spent half of last night going through every crack and crevice in my house looking for anything that might lead me to it and all I found was that I was exhausted when I had to go to work this morning. I own half don't I? Shoot, I don't want to start tearing up the floors, but I don't know what else to do.

After a moments thought, I have decided to wait a few days before resorting to drastic measures. Perhaps my rich alter is following this thread and will do the right thing and email me with the location and means of collecting my half.

I wonder if I ever get to fill any teeth and just don't recall? Hmmmm

Any way, whatever camera you decide on based on the features you find necessary and what you can afford, ENJOY! ENJOY! ENJOY!

JJ, you are amusing.

Sid, by way of practicle advice try the Ansco/Agfa. I bought one for $250 and do NOT regret that. If weighs in at about 13# which is not light but it is a full featured camera, you don't have to worry about beating up a $250 dollar camera AND I have discovered the extention (with a slight modification) can be use for the bed if you stay under 12 inches (at infinity) on you lens choice saving the wieght of about three film holders. Two camers in one!

Cheers,