Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slaying the deamons of format choice

Slaying the deamons of format choice

"Large format photographers I have met tend to fall into 2 categories - 1) those who are primarily interested in photographs, and 2) those who are interested in equipment. I don't think there is any shame in being interested in large format photography just because you are primarily interested in collecting, or restoring equipment - but you should realize which road you are going down."

Photography's technicalities are the eternal refuge of the unimaginative camera buff and a perpetual annoyance to almost everyone else... (Galassi in Friedlander)

Find a topic or subject and get passionate about that and not about the cameras. Limit yourself to one format and a usable, limited set on lenses (sell the rest and buy film and paper, or at least lock them away).

As long as you prefer fondling the wood of your cameras to taking photographs you'll never be happy! ;-)

I shoot 8x10 whenever possible, 4x5 when 8x10 won't work. Same aspect ratio in either case. If I want to do a panoramic I just crop. Keeps my photographic life simple, otherwise I'd be carrying around a room full of gear.

> Photography's technicalities are the eternal refuge of the unimaginative camera buff and a perpetual annoyance to almost everyone else... (Galassi in Friedlander)

What a great quote!!

Abuser of God's Sunlight

"Photography's technicalities are the eternal refuge of the unimaginative camera buff and a perpetual annoyance to almost everyone else... (Galassi in Friedlander)"

That's great. Echoed by my college fiction writing professor: "you're a photographer?!? God, the only thing worse than a room full of bridge players is a room full of photographers."

I think he meant camera buffs.

Need some 11x14 holders? I have 3 unused brand new holders that I bought before the arrival of my 11x14, which I ordered in a fit of Acquisition Fever. The fever subsided, temporarily, so I quickly cancelled the order, losing my deposit. Now I have holders and don't expect ever to have the camera.

Since then I've had a recurrence, finding that now I desperately need a Noblex 150. But those you can get used off the 'Bay for less than $1.5K! I'm not sure that even qualifies as a serious purchase...

P.S. I actually believe that the 11x14 is the perfect camera. Buy one.

Ok ....One camera and one lens. I've done that and continued to do that for a few years. And I agree with all the posts that say photography is not about equipment.... it's about vision. Now all those that have given such good advice just answer me one question. How many of you own more than one camera? Could this be a case of the pot calling the kettle black? Sure I could suggest the one lens one camera discipline to improve his composition. But how can I tell him to just own one camera when I own three? In no way am I a collector, this is obvious by looking at all the gaffers tape on the bellows and a few cigarette burns on the camera bed from a blury-eyed, half-hung-over photographer, struggling at 6:30 am to get a focus that has taken way to long anyway. My point is I treat my cameras like tools that I use to achieve my vision. If I feel my vision is better suited for a different format I'll change and sometimes I'll shoot it in two different formats if I feel that I envision it two different ways. Sure One camera will improve your composition and I would recommend it to any beginner. But try telling that guy who has been under the darkcloth for thirty years that if he owns more than one camera and works in more than one format that he is a collector and not a photographer and I think you may get an argument. The trick is to spend substantial time working in the formats that you choose. Bruce I think it would be safe to wager that 99% of the posters here own more than one camera and one lens. I for one own three cameras and four lenses. Now if I'm labeled a collector or a camera buff then so be it. Labels never bothered me and they will not make me run and put one or two of my cameras on ebay so I'll be considered a photographer or will it change the way I work. My best advice would be to do what ever your heart desires. Resale of UlF equipment is pretty good and if you do buy and find it doesn't fit your vision you can always recover most of your investment. Good luck and just keep shootin'.

"How many of you own more than one camera? Could this be a case of the pot calling the kettle black?"................................................................................How many really serious amateur/professionals AREN'T perfectionists/obsessive-compulsives, with bigtime trouble w/impulse control,...........................................................................................I surf e-bay, and have had to hold down my right hand when it totally goes insane w/my left hand to keep it from hitting the 'buy it now' button.

I was enjoying a six pack of Ichiban one night while sitting at the computer, I woke up the next morning and checked my e-mails, and saw 'contratulations on your purchase.............................', after that I have a standing rule, no more than 2 beers while at the computer.

I had the 'purity of vision' when I was young and dead broke, my first pro camera was a Nikon FTN, w/Vivitar 35mm-85mm ser. 1 which I eat and slept with, after awhile the camera seemed like the real end of my arm, I wouldn't wish being broke on anybody, but I miss the days when I thought about the shot, period, with what I had, no ifs, ands, or buts, I imagine having several cameras is kind of like having a harem, not as trouble free as you'd daydream it is..............................................there is no truly obsessed lover of the silver image that isn't seduced my the angles and curves of a sleek and sexy new camera/'oldie but goodie' classic.

After enough of being totally submersed in this sub-culture for long enough, the idea of a camera/s becomes part of who you are.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

I too shoot with multiple formats. I did make an excel table this week of the sheets of film used for each format over the time I've owned each camera and which lens I used for the pictures (where noted). It made for an interesting exercise. In the end, you are the one who must make the choice of what format to use and when. Good luck!

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Hey, Bruce, how about leaving a comment or two here? After reading everyone else's opinion and seeing what you've been selling on eBay, I'd love read your thoughts on this! :-)
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Yes Brian it is time to chime in. The past few days have been spent shooting. After reading all of the comments there seems to be some confusion. Many make me out to be a casual shooter who only cares about the size of the camera. This is nonsense. There is no obsession with a particular camera or size. The end result of a large contact print is the only concern.

Too think that photography revolves around camera brand/size X with film C, developed by solution A and printed on paper Z is ludicrous. There is no search for the "magical bullet" of sorts. The combination of Efke/Azo/Amidol has been my standard for the past 3 years and I intend to keep that going until Azo is no longer available. My original point was asking if I am the only one who has this type of conflict. Believe me when I say I have sold more large format cameras then most have even owned. This is due to finding the particular format that works. With the 8x20 I have found that in 90% of the images that I find. If I did 100% landscapes the 8x20 would be the only camera that I use. This is not the case as my subject matter varies. What happens when I see a waterfall that will not pan out on 8x20? Having enjoyed shooting waterfalls for the past 18 years I could not even imagine dropping waterfalls as subject matter. The only solid method for me is the contact print. Contact printing is the only way that I will ever print. Strong statement yet I know the alternative for does not work.

The use of two camera sizes in the field that give two different aspect ratios does not seem unreasonable. Nor does the use of two cameras on the same day for two radically different compositions. Even an 11x14 side by side with an 8x10 is a wider ratio. When tighter compositions come into play, the extra ground gained on the 11x4 can make an enormous difference.

Today I found an old grain mill that had undergone some radical decay. The original wall facing the south had been removed as it was unsafe. Behind the removed wall was a wooden wall that remined me of the old building in Western ghost towns. I set up the 8x20 and found a composisiton that was perfect. After that shot out came the 11x14. A vertical composition of the same wall produced a image not found in the 8x20. The 11x14 may even be a better image over the 8x20. I will find out after I process and print. For those who are interested I will send the link to the web after the images are posted.

Bottom line.....I am perfectly happy shooting both formats. Unless there is no reason to believe that the 11x14 would be used or there are logistical limitations I will continue this way. Maybe in time I will find that the 8x20 will be the only camera that I use. As long as I have the physical and mental capacity to use the the 11x14, my walls will have 11x14 Azo prints. And that I my toughest customer...me.

-Bruce