Thread: Best 600mm lens option

Best 600mm lens option

I am having a little lens dilemma:

I shoot a range of formats. Anything bigger than 4X5 is done for alt. processes ; particularly Pt/Pd (although down the road, I may spend a bit more time on silver contact printing). I currently own nothing longer than a 450mm. On 4X5, I use a 300mm quite a bit and I'd like something longer for 8X10 and larger (up to 12x20). 600mm looks about right for the next longer lens, but I am in some doubt as to how to proceed:

1.A Fujinon C 600mm (which would cover everything I would ever want to shoot, costs a shade under $1500 new and they are very seldom available used).

2. I picked up a 24in Red Artar in near perfect shape for $375 - it's in a barrel.

I have been investigating the options for having the Artar mounted into a shutter (I'd really prefer it to a barrel especially on 8X10 when exposures are occassionally under a second...). It would appear that I will be in for about $700 which brings the all in cost of this to about $1075 - significantly less than the Fujinon.

Does it make sense to have the Artar remounted (I have never actually used a lens of this vintage; except on Rolleiflexes - I have no doubt that it will perform adequately for my purposes)? I'm not sure there is any point in spending +-$1100 for a 40 year old lens when I could buy pretty much state of the art (great coatings anyway) for an extra $400. Even on 12x20, $400 buys quite a bit of film....

Best 600mm lens option

I use three Fujinon C lenses, the 300, 450 and 600. All are superb performers. The 600 is a jewel. However, as you say, the 600 is pretty rare used.

The Red Dot Artars are also very fine performers, and assuming yours is in good shape, is well worth mounting in a shutter.

Best 600mm lens option

You could explore having the Artar front mounted. If you pick up (or already have) a large shutter (ideally an Ilex or Betax 5), you could have whole bunch of longer lenses front mounted onto it. Front mounting is considerably cheaper than remounting the lens into a shutter. Cheers, DJ

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Best 600mm lens option

The Fujinon would allow for more movements on your 12x20. The Artars are fairly narrow field...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Best 600mm lens option

Don:

I have used both Artars and Fujis for my big cameras. Both are fine lenses although the Fujis are a bit smaller. My preference was for the the image produced by the Artars. I found the Fujis to be to edgy and sharp; too much local contrast for my BW, so I sold them.

On the other hand, you will not lose money or value having the 24" mounted in a Copal #3. Alternatively, you may want to consider using a packard shutter mounted on a lensboard for the 24". That will cost about $125 and work well for BW. $1000 savings buys a lot of film.

And contrary to another post, you will find you have more movements available with the Artar.

Good luck.

Mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

Best 600mm lens option

what about process lenses? You can get a 600 mm for less than $400, and it would be either a Rodenstock or a Nikkor, I have a Nikkor but it is a beast and I don't use it since I got a Cooke.

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Best 600mm lens option

Have the Artar set in a Copal 3 by Grimes. You won't be disappointed in the performance.