Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the great shots? Am I a cynicist or a realist?

Re: Where are the great shots? Am I a cynicist or a realist?

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    That is the best definition of narcissism I've ever heard -- hands down. Thanks!
    The mirror is facing outward, not to the face...

Steve K

Drew Wiley

Maybe it's time for you to hitch up with Ma Barker's boys, get in your vintage automobile, and go rob the bank in Silver City, if it still exists. Time to do something different, then photography will sound exciting again, especially since not many people take large format shots thru barred jail cell windows. That should be different enough to bag you a museum show.

That is the best definition of narcissism I've ever heard -- hands down. Thanks!
    It might take more then 7 minutes to understand that it is has nothing to do with narcissism. Personally, I strive to be like my 11x14: big-headed, lens in front, film in back and nothing inbetween.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

multiplex

hi jim

i don't think you are a realist or a cynic, you sound bored
    john

multiplex

Apparently not to some people on this forum -- it's either your format or your lens(es) or your technique or your enlarger or your method or your film or your........................................
    couldnt' agree more .. the gear is pretty much a distraction

Regarding the middle-end of Jim's post: I have an extensive archive of negs of my four years as a newspaper photog in an isolated part of Michigan. I've been scanning them and putting them up on Flickr, and have talked to a university archive that specializes in this kind of thing for them to eventually receive the film. I'm hoping to get quite a fistful up on Flicker before that happens. This is not the perfect solution to helping people access my work, but it helps. In my case, some archivist's job will be easy, because the negs are dated within a day or two of when the photos ran in the newspaper, so all the background info--who, what, when, where--is already done, waiting to be matched up. it's an archive job I wouldn't mind having, myself, if someone would pay me.

In the vein of the thread, what makes this work special is that no one can go back and recreate my photos. I do remember writing a photo magazine once to complain about an article they'd printed. It would have been in the 70s, I think, when either Modern Photo or Petersen's printed an article showing exactly where to stand for the "best" shots in a number of European cities. At least now no one's doing that. . . . or are they? Well, photograph people instead of scenery, and you won't need to worry about people stealing your best shots. https://www.flickr.com/photos/mdarnt...57628767257187
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    Regarding the middle-end of Jim's post: I have an extensive archive of negs of my four years as a newspaper photog in an isolated part of Michigan. I've been scanning them and putting them up on Flickr, and have talked to a university archive that specializes in this kind of thing for them to eventually receive the film. I'm hoping to get quite a fistful up on Flicker before that happens. This is not the perfect solution to helping people access my work, but it helps. In my case, some archivist's job will be easy, because the negs are dated within a day or two of when the photos ran in the newspaper, so all the background info--who, what, when, where--is already done, waiting to be matched up. it's an archive job I wouldn't mind having, myself, if someone would pay me.

In the vein of the thread, what makes this work special is that no one can go back and recreate my photos. I do remember writing a photo magazine once to complain about an article they'd printed. It would have been in the 70s, I think, when either Modern Photo or Petersen's printed an article showing exactly where to stand for the "best" shots in a number of European cities. At least now no one's doing that. . . . or are they? Well, photograph people instead of scenery, and you won't need to worry about people stealing your best shots. https://www.flickr.com/photos/mdarnt...57628767257187
    Mr. Jaasko's generator shop jumped right off the screen at me. Beautiful.

Thanks. I remember that neg as being nearly unprintable at the time. Now, thanks to scanning and Photoshop. . . no problem! I have quite a few shots like that--the area was heavily working, older people, who were doing interesting things, and my editor liked it when I found them, because they were the readers. That's what made the job so much fun.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Jim,

We all need a break now and then. If you can, I would suggest a vacation. Without a camera. Leave it/them at home. But perhaps plan to take in an exhibit and allow the work of others to work on you.

(Shrek)

Why do people play the piano? The result is even more ephemeral than photographs in this digital age. Yet I love listening to someone play. But why do they bother?

There are quite a few factors at play. Obviously most of us shoot for ourselves, for our own pleasure. I've posted before about how I consider it therapy, something that (arguably) keeps me sane and connected to the wider world. It's also a marker of class. It's proof that I have risen somewhat above my working-class poor background, that I can afford such a frivolous pastime. And yes, my collection of cameras and lenses will be worth far more than my photos when I die, if anyone is concerned about money when that time comes.

I don't normally even look at my own photographs. I edit maybe 5% of them, then they go in a folder on my computer. Lately I use a screensaver that displays random photos on the screen for 5 minutes each. Sometimes I surprise myself with images I don't remember making. It has motivated me to try again, sometimes.