Hard to imagine that it has been 25 years now that I have pursued artistic photography.

In a recent thread an OP asks about where the good shots are near Portland. Change the name and we see the same querry a thousand times here. And I guess I'm getting a bit cynical.

It's absolutely OK to ask the question. But since I have a married daughter in Oregon and have been up and down more of the Oregon outback than most Oregon residents I couldn't help but think to myself, another worn out shot of the sea stacks. LF black and white fine art version. Crystal sharp with 90 second exposure so the sea looks like a blurred gray fog and the fabulous rocks break through gloriously.

The thing is, after 25 years, I have all the right gear and the know how to do that and every other iconic shot, but my question is, who cares. No one will ever see it. No one wants to see it. The awesome 8X10 negative will languish in a thin oak drawer up in my studio until I'm gone and someone takes the whole pile to the rubbish heap.

I'm especially cynical about all the Bodie ghost town type shots where you get to know the names of every building in Bodie after a while. Whoopee. Painfully worn out.

It's unnecessary to attempt to correct me and give me all the arguments I've already given others about "you do it for you" etc. nothing else matters, every artist brings his unique vision, blah blah blah. Heard them all. GIVEN them all.

Ultimately, I'm still going, still enjoying. I get worked up over some antique lens that I think really may have some unique signature. But ultimately the wind in the sails 25 years ago is largely gone. The wisest man that ever lived may have said it best. All is vanity and striving after wind.

get some fuel boys, and some matches, we've got a heretic to burn