Thread: Where to rent APO enlarging lenses in Toronto??

Where to rent APO enlarging lenses in Toronto??

Hello Everyone,

Before I put down the "big bucks" for a APO enlarging lens, I would like to satisfy my curiosity and test one (or two) to see if indeed these lenses are as sharp as some people claim them to be. I live in Toronto and I would like to ask if anyone knows where I might rent enlarging lenses? I've tried Vistek, Headshots, FilmPlus and Imageworks but no dice? Moreover, I would also consider purchasing one, if someone out there was interested in selling. I want to print 20x24 fiber with a Saunders 4500 II modified Condit glass plate enlarger. Currently, I only have an 80mm Rodagon (non-APO). I am looking for any APO (Rodagon or Schneider) in the 105mm/80mm and 50mm range. Any help would be appreciated.

Joseph
    joseph@josephsantos.com

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Hi Joseph,
    No I can't help you. I live in Burlington and don't know of anyone who would rent you an enlarger lens.
    I would contact Schneider and Rodagon directly and see if they can help you out.
    Tell them you want to try the gear but are interested in buying.
    I'm not sure if you'll see any difference though. I think it matters more in colour.
    -Rob

You need a very good working relationship with a local store that specializes in darkrook. Distributors have new lenses for sale to dealers. If they have a lens that is not new it is usually a demo for use at shows for displays.

We as the Rodenstock distrobutor (Rodagon is a model name not the company name) are not going to make new lenses used by making them available as rental or loaners. That is what a professional camera store may do. And once you have tested a loaner how do you know it is in proper condition in the first place and that the lenses being shipped are actually comprable?

Lastly is your enlarger prepared for a high end lens? Do you use a glass carrier? Is your enlarger properly and critically alingned?

As for the differences in performance between an Apo and a non Apo I can't speak for other manufacturers but in Rodenstock's case the difference is not color. It is resolution, roll-off across the print in focus, range of optimal magnification ratios, range of useable -optimal apertures, how soon the lens hits optimal aperture, reduced flare, increased saturation, etc.. The differences between an Apo Rodagon N and other lenses (including the older Apo Rodagon) are substantial.

Hi Joseph,
    Try KHB Photgrafix in Mississauga. (905) 670-5166. I can't say for certain that they rent, but they do handle used enlargers and lenses. They put my enlarger together for me, and I bought my lenses there. Good luck.