Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Highest quality enlarger

Cool Re: Highest quality enlarger

Check out what Clyde Butcher usess. That would be a test for who has the biggest one.

I have an old Durst 184, and as a mechanical engineer, I can appreciate the build quality, but I also have a 4x5 Beseler that would convert to 8x10 with the proper kit.

The answer to the question is: how much vertical clearance and how good are you at alignment? The second question is the important one.

Re: Highest quality enlarger

I've only been using my Omega D2V since the late '60s, so the experience is somewhat limited. It has, however, performed well during that time, with careful (non-abusive) use.

It should be noted that this thread was originally started back in 2005.

Drew Wiley

My Durst chassis are built of machined stainless steel; everything else is extruded
    aluminum. That tells you something about the original cost of mfg. And the Durst
    has all kinds of hidden alignment corrections built in that no else even thinks about;
    You have to dissect a few of these things to appreciate it. Alas, their most advanced colorhead never went into production, even after the subcomponents were made.
    Durst "professional" went over to the Dark Side of the farce (digital).

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Although the Beselers are not in consideration, I recommend that you take a second look at the 45MXT for the following reasons.

1. An 8x10 cold light conversion head is available from Beseler and from another supplier on E-bay.

2. Beseler is still in business, answers their phone (or returns calls), and parts for them abound. Just search E-bay for Beseler, for example, and a hundred or more listings pop up.

3. The MXT is extremely easy to align with a laser. The newer Beseler lensboards have three torque screws that serve to hold the lensboard to the enlarger AND, by simply adjusting the individual torques, to align the lens stage.

4. The MXT has a fine focus knob.

5. The chassis is motorized. Yeah, you could turn a crank like you have to do with an Omega, but the motorized Beseler has a more modern high tech feel about it.

6. Ansel Adams though so much about the Beseler that he had two of them.

Whatever you're going to get, get it, and start shooting and printing!

Thomas

Since Beselers and Omegas are about the same price, opt for the Beseler. I got a good 10 years out of the 30 year old one I owned pre-digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    It should be noted that this thread was originally started back in 2005.
    Good point. I looked up the OP most recent post, dated
    Quote]15-Mar-2007, 21:28 #1

Ron Spencer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am selling what I have remaining of my darkroom to convert to digital.
    All items will be reasonably priced. My apologies... I haven't had the time to price everything. [Quote

Frustratingly there was no enlarger listed.

Now back to that snow plow.

John

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    My Omega DII, that I have been using for 45 years, has perfomed admirably. I have never had an alignment problem and last aligned it in 2004. Your experience sounds more like user abuse than a design flaw. Or perhaps mine is an earlier model.
    I know there are people who are very happy with these enlargers.

I just wanted to make it clear that my experience includes about 60 data points ... Omegas of a number of vintages (all 4x5) used professionally (lots of use), academically (lots of abuse), and individually (lots of babying). In all cases they were the least popular choice among the users, and were despised by their maintainers.

In fact, I must sadly report that I've used more of this brand than any other, since for whatever reason it became industry standard. Every other brand I've used has been dramatically better.

My Beseler has some design limitations (that can be overcome with a bit of custom work), but no glaring flaws or insultingly innept engineering. It's a solid workhorse; if I were shopping for enlargers on a budget, I'd buy a Beseler even if an Omega were offered free. If I had a larger budget, I might investigate some other options.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    3. The MXT is extremely easy to align with a laser. The newer Beseler lensboards have three torque screws that serve to hold the lensboard to the enlarger AND, by simply adjusting the individual torques, to align the lens stage.
    That's cool ... I had to make mine. Actually, I could have bought one from zone vi, but since I was friends with a machinist it was cheaper to just steal the idea. I'm glad Beseler incorporated it. This fixes the one real design limitation of the MX.

Not a perfect fix ... annoying if you use several lenses. But at least it works.

When I first got the beseler I thought the motorized housing was a gimmic. Now I like it. The advantage is that you're not whaling on the chasis when you adjust the height. No cranking and shaking it like a tree ... just a flick of a switch. And the fine focus knob is sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I know there are people who are very happy with these enlargers.

I just wanted to make it clear that my experience includes about 60 data points ... Omegas of a number of vintages (all 4x5) used professionally (lots of use), academically (lots of abuse), and individually (lots of babying). In all cases they were the least popular choice among the users, and were despised by their maintainers.

In fact, I must sadly report that I've used more of this brand than any other, since for whatever reason it became industry standard. Every other brand I've used has been dramatically better.

My Beseler has some design limitations (that can be overcome with a bit of custom work), but no glaring flaws or insultingly innept engineering. It's a solid workhorse; if I were shopping for enlargers on a budget, I'd buy a Beseler even if an Omega were offered free. If I had a larger budget, I might investigate some other options.
    Paul, I agree, Beseler makes a fine enlarger. I was only suggesting, that for some, an Omega might be adequate. If offered free, I would take a chance and grab one. I also have a Durst that I use for 6x6, and it is very well made, as one would expect from Durst.

I have a D2V which I used for years untill I got a DeVere 504 with all carriers for 35mm to 5x4 and 50,80,105 and 150mm Rodenstock Rodagons for a very silly price. You just have to love the digital lemmings.

The DeVere is so far ahead of any enlarger I have used and I have used a large number. The DeVere design is wonderful for long darkroom sessions for one simple reason - you don't need to dislocate your shoulder for large prints.

Mind you both enlargers are correctly aligned with top quality lenses and prints made from either produce equally top quality prints from negatives tailored to the particular enlarger.