Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don Worth...film developer?

Don Worth...film developer?

Hello everyone:

I just came back from Carmel where I stopped in at the Photography West Gallery. I looked over the soon to be released book of works by Don Worth. I was completely blown away with the quality of work this man produced. His images had a glow like no others I've seen.

My question, and I realize there's more to making a great image than the tools you use, does anyone know what film developer he used?

Thanks for your help.

Your real question is: How can one make images like Don Worth's?, and you've answered it for yourself. It doen't matter what developer he used.

That's why it's rarely worth asking about any photographer's technique -- the immediate assumption is that you want to copy his work. What's wrong with wanting to know how someone achieves some effect? If a newbie comes on here asking how to get straight verticals, does that mean he's subsequently going to use rise on every shot?

I'm really amazed by the ever narrowing range of topics one can hope to bring up here without getting snotty, unhelpful replies. Who needs it?

Henry, I would like to take the time to personally thank you for telling me what I really wanted. Maybe you can help me figure something out. ( if you wouldn't mind) The images I saw were of plants and flowers. At this point in my life, I have absolutely no desire to shoot such things. So, how do you propose I make images like his? I'd really appreciate any helpful suggestions ( other than use the same developer of course... I already figured that one out myself).

Oops, and I forgot to mention I've been diligently studying his use of light, contrast, tonal composition as well as the way he uses texture, line and form...

Oh henry, one other aside... I was cooking a meal the other night for some guests and funny thing happened. I yelled, "Bam" when I threw in the spices. Later, when my guests arrived, one told me my cooking tasted remarkably similar to Emeril's?! Sonovagun! ( and no, she didn't hear me yell Bam)

Eric Biggerstaff

It is great that you saw some work by Don Worth. He is a great photographer and was, of course, Ansel Adams assistant inthe 50's. I will do some digging for you and try to find out a bit more information.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Eric Biggerstaff

Bobby,

By the way, your message kind of sounded like Don was no longer with us. He is and is still producing beautiful work, contact the gallery and see if they will provide you some contact information. If so, drop him a note and ask him. I have spoken to Don a few times and he is a very nice man.

Have a great one.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

If I could make prints like Brett, or Edward I'd be proud to plagerize(sp) the hell out of them.

Bobby,

For his early 4x5 work Don used Verichrome Pan and Pan-X developed in ABC Pyro. He printed on Varigam and Velour Black developed in Dektol. Of the aforementioned the only survivors are ABC Pyro and Dektol.

For the record, Don is 81 and I believe still resides in Mill Valley, CA.