Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mysterious Digital Dependence

Mysterious Digital Dependence

Whilst I have never owned nor operated a digital camera (and probably never will) I think they are a dandy idea, in principle. Much more efficient than color film processing, as anyone with an in-house E6 dip-and-dunk line will tell you. And any real or imagined deficiency in image quality will soon be overcome with rapid advances in technology. As prices continue to plummet.

I ran into a large display of these cameras yesterday during a visit to my local Circuit City store. Very impressive what they can pack into such a tiny unit. Some of the better units cost less than a Hasselblad lens shade. And no film to buy. What’s not to like?

But I got thinking about my recent experiences with Circuit City.

A few months back, I purchased a radio with an XM satellite receiver. The radio did not function, right out of the box. Something about the antenna, they said. So I drove back to the store and exchanged it for another.

Three days later, the satellite receiver bit the dust. Just quietly sitting on the corner of my desk. No rough treatment whilst riding on a skateboard (I’m 64). The connection broke on the radio as I removed the non-functioning receiver.

Having had enough, I took advantage of the store’s liberal return policy and dumped the whole outfit and cancelled my radio subscription.

And this isn’t the first time I have gone round and round with little electronic goodies. Fifteen years ago, I invested several thousand dollars in a top-of-the-line Yamaha surround-sound stereo system. All the bells and whistles. Then the local dealer died, no one took over the franchise, the store closed, the equipment became “obsolete” with no repair possible. I was left with a very large and painfully expensive pile of silent black boxes. So after a couple of years everything is now resting (quietly) at the local Goodwill thrift store. Never do that again!

At the same time, my friend has an 11x14 Deardorff from the fifties with which he is still earning a living. What’s to break?

After decades of heavy commercial abuse, I am still using the same Nikor tanks and yellow plastic Kodak print trays I bought in 1967. Clean and shiny as the day I brought them home from the store.

The most important feature of my new super-dooper EOS is the ability to turn off all that automation for which I just paid so much. Nice to be able to concentrate on the photography instead of fighting the built-in computer. Just like the old days with my M4 outfit.

My terrifying thought: Is the younger generation getting sucked into purchasing (and becoming dependent upon) a whole range of products the innards of which no one but an Asian factory-trained tech rep understands nor can repair? Great plot for a spy novel.

What do people do when their digital widget board crashes out in the field? How do you explain that to the client who is expecting a dependable professional?

Whatever happened to taking stuff down to your cellar workbench after supper and fixing it yourself? There is no electronic duct tape.

As for me, I have decided that it’s time to return to the simple life. You can have all your fancy buttons.

My wife has been encouraging me to purchase a dedicated laptop on which to write my long-promised photography book. I think instead I shall get out the latest Levenger catalogue and purchase a nice leather-bound notebook and a new fountain pen. Perhaps some iced tea and a chaise for under the maple tree. No batteries nor extended warrantees necessary. And no 128-page owner’s manual.

Just a thought...

John -

The Deardorff/fountain pen/typewriter/M4 is the same as it ever was. Whatever potential they had still exists. They perform the same tasks they did before computers came along. It would be foolish to ignore that.

On the other hand, they're all technological devices. You can break the ground glass on the Deardorff, and the pen can run out of ink or break the nib. True, you're more likely to be able to fix them yourself.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I've had very good experiences with electronics, for the most part. I've got a very nice Yamaha stereo (two channel only), most of which I bought in a pawn shop. I just fixed some problems on it last week! Didn't even have to take it down to the basement (we don't have basements in Charleston).

It sounds like what's bothering you is the rapid product replacement cycle, and planned obsolescence. Your trays and tanks from '67 are still great. My Nikon FM from somewhere in the 70s still works like its new. It does now exactly what it did then, which is to hold lenses and expose film with great reliability. The Coolpix 5400 I bought earlier this year will always be happy to take 5 megapixel snapshots, but the "state of the art" in digicams will leave it in the dust shortly. In five years it will be a paperweight, and my FM will probably be worth what it is now.

You don't have to buy a digicam, or feel guilty for using film. Fill up the fountain pen and enjoy.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

"You don't have to buy a digicam, or feel guilty for using film. Fill up the fountain pen and enjoy."

I think there's a little more to John's point than this. It sounds like he wants to use the digicam, but is a bit bummed out by something that's getting lost in the transition. I can sympathise.

I've been amazed by what my digital gear can do (scanning and printing stuff ... no camera yet) but it's obvious that it will be outdated in a couple of years, unsupported in a couple of more years, and will likely break sometime in between these dates. So I develop a very detached, workmanly relationship with these things, always with an eye on what's going to replace them and when, and always with my fingers crossed that they last through the end of the current project. It's not a relationship I enjoy as much as the one I have with my field camera (a little older than I am) or my beseler enlarger (20 or so years old and good as new). I think it's just an unfortunate price we pay for this new category of gear. Relentless innovation instead of stoic immortality.

This is precisely why I have yet to 'go digital'. I have no problem paying a couple of thousand dollars for something that will save me from the film costs etc. but not when it will be uselss in 3 -4 years' time. I think that is definitely the main problem with digital photography right now. I'm hoping that some companies such as Leica will maintain the simplicity and elegance of their equipment and make their ccd/cmos chips easily swapable in the event of a failure.

John,

You know what happened. You know the history. Just like me, you've lived through a bunch of it, but not even us old guys have lived through all of it.

It dates back to Gilbert Hyatt's invention of the micro computer chip in 1971 (US patent No. 4942516). It dates back to John Ambrose Fleming's invention of the "Fleming valve" vacuum tube diode in 1904. It dates back to Nikoli Tesla's invention of the three phase A/C motor in the 1870s. It dates back to James Watt's improvements on Thomas Newcomen's steam engine in 1769.

All these things have a common thread - the use of energy to magnify and increase the capabilities of humans. The first stage was to increase our ability to do physical work by converting energy (heat) into motion (motors). The second stage was to spread this ability far and wide (electrical power generation and distribution). The third stage was to use this freely available energy to increase our minds' ability to work in groups (radio, TV, telecommunications). The forth stage was to use these tools to increase our ability to perform mentally (computers, networking, the 'net, storage).

You can't work on electronics on your workbench after dinner because this stuff is too simple - no moving parts to duct tape. It's binary; either it works or it doesn't. What can be simpler than that?

All that said, I understand where you are coming from. I have enjoyed many an evening sitting on a porch swing just watching the river go by. No cell phone, no computer, no schedule. Just relatives and friend to talk to, dogs to pet, and fireflies to watch. Nice work when you can get it.

But I urge you to think about the "simple life" a bit before you commit to it. You can't really single out just computers and digital cameras. It's the whole infrastructure that makes them possible. What you had when the "simple life" really was simple, was bigger (or lesser) than that. There were no cars, no electricity, no TV, no computers, no refrigerators, no central heating, no A/C. People like my parents were growing their own food, sewing their own clothes, and chopping a lot of wood. It was not the paradise that people imagine, or that some recall. Memory is selective. Be careful what you wish for.

Bruce Watson

". . . return to the simple life."

My thoughts exactly. I'm still using my darkroom and old cameras accumulated over 45 years, and I'll probably use them as long as film and printing paper are available. But with the uncertainty of film based photography, and my distinct lack of interest in digital media, I have gone back to my earliest interests and have taken up drawing. I'm pretty sure that graphite pencils, charcoal, and paper will be available for a long time, and they're a lot cheaper than film and printing paper.

Mike,

Exactly how will it be useless in 3-4 years time? When another model comes out, will yours cease to work? Equipment does not become useless because a new model comes out. I have an old Canon D30 which I use for backup and shots of the kids, etc. It works just as well now as it did when I purchased it. It didn't self destruct or take blurry photos when I purchased my Canon 1DS for studio work. This talk of gear becoming useless or obsolete is pure nonsense.

Old School Wayne

There were no cars, no electricity, no TV, no computers, no refrigerators, no central heating, no A/C. People like my parents were growing their own food, sewing their own clothes, and chopping a lot of wood. It was not the paradise that people imagine, or that some recall. Memory is selective.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have just provided a long list of additional dependencies, that you seem to automatically characterize as desireable. All of these things come with a price for their convenience. I know a lot of people who, by choice, cut their own wood, sew at least some of their own clothes, have big gardens, live off the grid on solar power, have no central heating other than woodstove (or only use central heat as a backup), and rarely watch the TV that tells them they need all those other things. I dont know a single one would trade their life for those other conveniences.

John Cook has really touched a sensitive point in his post, and I fully understand his point.

In my early days in photography, I had a box 'Brownie'. I had to wait weeks for the film and prints to come back to me from the 'drug store'. The waiting for the results of my pictue taking, made the final product (prints) have more value. The waiting....made discipline, patience and the other disciplines here....necessary and thus I assigned more value to the end product.

In todays world of computers, instant gratification, and preoccupation with the personal self...I think we have lost something along the way.

Perhaps it is like the value we assign to something given to us for 'free'! People percieve that things that are 'free' have less value than things that cost time, skill, or money.

I have a b&w shot I made for Vogue Magazine, years ago of a model in a gown, where I used kinetics and also froze the motion with studio strobes in this illustration. The original print hung in my studio display wall. The finished print required about a dozen different dodging and burning operations. It was the only print I ever sold....to models and women clients who visited my advertising studio. after about a dozen sales of this print I finally asked a woman why she wanted to purchase it. She replied..."the model is ALL WOMEN...and represents the secret fantasy we women have about ourselves".

I'm getting off my point....but the print required a lot of work to make...with my dancing about my enlarger dodging and burning, developing, fixing, drying mounting, etc. It has much greater value to me than anything I could mass produce using Photoshop...and was better 'art'!

Certainly digital photography is here to stay and its use in photojournalism, or industry cannot be denied.

To a growing number of people, traditional photography has greater value, as does the black and white print, for home decor, etc.

The physical demands on shooting, processing, and finishing a traditional print is in the early stages of becoming a much more valuable c0mmodity because of the labor, skill and discipline involved in it's production. Many people see digital prints as kind of like 'wall paper'.

For this writer/photographer... the education, discipline, skill and patience of traditional photography will always have more value and give me a greater sense of personal satisfaction.

Why does an 1790's solid walnut inlaid table have more value than a similar product with chrome legs and a Formica top? Not only because it is old....but because some person with great artistry and skill made it with their own hands.

I predict that there will be a time not to far off, that a gallery print with have a sticker on the back which will say..."No digital manipulation in the taking, or printing of this image was used", and below this...will be the signature of the photographer.

Digital is great. It's just a different animal.

Richard Boulware - Denver.

John,

I wonder how you manage to connect to the internet mechanically. Or do you actually use electronic (or even Asian) devices to do so?

A coach is much simpler then a car, but I don't think that LA would have solved a horse-dung problem more easily than the car smog problem. "More simple" does not necessarily mean "more easy" as you may find out with your new fountain pen.