Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weston Thermometer

Re: Weston Thermomter

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Then you obviously need a third watch!
    And simply average them, or get several and develop an algorithm for a programmable HP calculator (they run on RPN - Reverse Polish Notation? Just kidding, of course.

Robert Bowring

Re: Weston Thermometer

I have used a Weston adjustable dial thermometer for a long time and find it to be very reliable. I check it regularly against my Unicolor Precision mercury thermometer and adjust it if necessary. Works very well.

If you use the same thermometer all the time and adjust your process accordingly, I don't see why the thermometer needs to be perfectly accurate, close enough seems OK to me, as long as it reads the same all the time. I'm thinking B&W

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

About three years ago, I bought a new Weston thermometer to replace the little 1" dial thermometer that I had always used. It was a while (months) before I put it to use, and discovered that while it was quite accurate (against a Kodak Process Thermometer) it would sometimes stick. Tapping the face would give a true reading, so I considered the merits of returning it. But then I realized that I sort of instinctively tap any dial-type gauge (pressure, temperature, voltage...) so maybe knowing that I have to tap it is better than getting a "good" one and just assuming that I won't.

Incidentally, one of the better arguments for electronic thermometers is that slightly bending the step will not change the calibration. This happened to my old thermometer, and the low reading (about 1-1/2 scale divisions) was enough to ruin some pictures until I figured it out...

Whatever style one uses, having a liquid-in-glass thermometer readable to a degree (F) or less and reserved as a reference is a very, very good idea---both electronic and mechanical thermometers can go bad slowly.