Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using Barrel Lens

Re: Using Barrel Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    What were you doing, Vaughn, star trails?

I have seen photographs shot in old run down factories, hospitals and churches shot at long exposure times like that.
    Middle of the day under the redwoods! Well, it was at the end of a steep walled canyon at the base of a waterfall. Most of my exposures are around a minute.

This one was 10 minutes...but only at f/32! (4x5 carbon print)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1McDonald Creek.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Outstanding, Vaughn, and a reminder that long, long exposures even out irregularities. Just remove the lens cap, move away from the tripod, sit somewhere comfortable and use a watch. (Does anyone else still wear one?) Sometimes I measure exposure in number of beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Middle of the day under the redwoods! Well, it was at the end of a steep walled canyon at the base of a waterfall. Most of my exposures are around a minute.

This one was 10 minutes...but only at f/32! (4x5 carbon print)
    The exposure time makes your image even more impressive, Vaughn!

I've never been to California. I'd love to see the redwoods. I need to visit my step-son and his family in San Jose. It's just a rough plane trip for me with my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Outstanding, Vaughn, and a reminder that long, long exposures even out irregularities. Just remove the lens cap, move away from the tripod, sit somewhere comfortable and use a watch. (Does anyone else still wear one?) Sometimes I measure exposure in number of beers.

I feel naked without my watch.

If I have my flip phone, I use that to time -- but I often leave it behind. I've used a kitchen timer and various old watches. I have a winding watch that is nice -- just sits in my camera pack and when I need it, I give it some winds and it is ready to go!

The longer the exposure, the less accurate one has to be, too. After counting out that 15 minute exposure (count out a minute, put another pebble in the pile), I went home and tried to repeat the count. Turned out my 'minute' was closer to 70 seconds. Never hurts to have a little more exposure! Unfortunately, my processing of the 11x14 negative was not up to snuff...and the composition left something to be desired. And I think I had some uncorrected bellows factor involved.

It is one thing to have a long exposure, the other is to expect your human subject(s) to stand for it! My boys got pretty good at it. This was a two-minute exposure (w/watch) on New Years Day, 2008...8x10 carbon print. I also made a one-minute exposure right before this one. That negative was processed for platinum printing. I also made one without the boys -- for that one I was able to close the lens one stop more and use a 5 minute exposure (with no boys to be still for that long!) I gave the ones with the boys miminal exposure -- because my boys have a limit and also that dark end of the fallen tree facing the camera (I can keep texture in there).

Alan -- 'short' drive up to the redwoods from SF! Much better than the Muir Woods!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ThreeBoysThreeSnags.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    ...Sometimes I measure exposure in number of beers.
    ...or bowls.

Very very nice examples, the true craft of photography.
    I am setting up a 7x17 and have a 355 G Claron in Barrel that I plan to use with it. My guess is that shutter wont be of much help as to long exposures needed. I am sure I will need to figure out bellows extension and reciprocity corrections..
    Steve

For landscapes, I say 1 Ansel Adams, 2 Ansel Adams... For still life's, it's 1 Edward Weston, 2 Edward Weston... Works every time!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Whichever mantra you use, beware the potential efficiency differences between a porkpie hat, a fedora, a 10-gallon, and a Tilly.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I've shot in the Redwoods with Vaughn. Now I shoot Efke 25 in there and I have done 1 hour exposures. Mostly they are 9-12 minutes and the light does amazing things during that time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fullsizeoutput_2130.jpg