Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using Barrel Lens

Re: Using Barrel Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    ...or bowls.
    Oh no, no. I'm terrified of that stuff. Does that mean I am banned from Humbolt County? Should I grow out my hair? Bell bottoms?

Jim Fitzgerald: I've shot in the Redwoods with Vaughn. Now I shoot Efke 25 in there and I have done 1 hour exposures. [...]
    I can hardly stay awake that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Oh no, no. I'm terrified of that stuff. Does that mean I am banned from Humbolt County? Should I grow out my hair? Bell bottoms?

I can hardly stay awake that long.
    LOL! No, we love straights, too. I have taken naps during exposures!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

LOL! No, we love straights, too. I have taken naps during exposures!
    I've done naps, long walks to scout the next shot or just marveled at the light.

Alan -- 'short' drive up to the redwoods from SF! Much better than the Muir Woods!
    Thanks, Vaughn. My wife has been out there several times and her son Shaun has taken her to San Francisco and also the redwoods near there. I guess it's been around ten years since Shaun and Beth got married in Los Vegas. That five hour plane ride to Vegas was rough. I could hardly walk after I got off the plane. Shaun has been begging me to come out there. I need to just suck it up and go.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    For two seconds I say "two potato"...and so on...but my negs come out a tad under exposed for some reason.

Maybe you are counting the small Irish potatoes. Try counting the larger Idaho pototatoes

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I shoot 4x5 and some 8x10 long exposures. Exposures in the range of 1 second to 90 seconds usually. I use a stopwatch for long exposures. I used a watch but when the exposures get longer I would sometimes forget what minute I started from. A stop watch is one more thing done simply.

Are these all guesstimated exposures or are folks taking some sort of readings and calculating reciprocity etc.?
    Steve

Metered -- corrected for RF by years of experience (AKA, experienced guessing).
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Opheim View Post
    I shoot 4x5 and some 8x10 long exposures. Exposures in the range of 1 second to 90 seconds usually. I use a stopwatch for long exposures. I used a watch but when the exposures get longer I would sometimes forget what minute I started from. A stop watch is one more thing done simply.
    With a 90 second exposure an over-exposure of even one minute will make very little difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    With a 90 second exposure an over-exposure of even one minute will make very little difference.
    I'll have to scratch my head on this one. I often take two negatives of an image -- if I am concerned with the effects of RF, I will double the exposure on the second sheet of film. The qualities and the printability of the two negatives (say at 60 seconds and 120 seconds) can quite different -- seen mostly in the lower values.

A minute off on a 10 minute exposure will make little difference.

Edited to add: I work with negatives a little differently than most people, so no longer scratching my head.