Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Switching from Small to Large Format and Relative Focal Lengths.

Re: Swithing from Small to Large Format and Relative Focal Lengths.

Good way to start! I went from 120 to 4x5 -- then slowly up to 11x14 via 5x7, 8x10 (and 4x10). Until I was using the 8x10 for many years, I always used the 'normals' for the formats. In retrospect, I appreciated learning how to see photographically with just the normal lenses.

A nice little Caltar IIN 150mm/5.6 in a Copal 0 shutter is what I have been using for 4x5 ever since I bought it new in the early 80s.

Have fun!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

That sounds like a great price on the lens -- I'm assuming you are talking about the Nikon W 105mm f5.6. Be aware that it has an image circle of 153mm, so you will have basically no ability for movements for exposures at any distance. Check on your ground glass, at infinity, stopped down, to make sure the image is falling exactly in the middle of the screen. I use a Fujinon CM-W 105mm f5.6. It has a slightly wider image circle of 174mm, and even that can be a challenge to work with at distance.
    Last edited by xkaes; 10-Jul-2017 at 10:37.

If you are just starting with 4x5, or other LF, I think it a good idea to use a similar focal length until you get used to the system then add focal lengths if you desire.
    Since you tend to use a 50mm lens with 35 mm , get a 150 mm for 4x5. There is no need particularly to invest in a "high end" lens.There are dozens of makes of moderately priced 150mm lenses available used. A good starting point is with a Tessar design which were made by basically every lens manufacturer. You should not have to pay more then $200 for a very good 150.

The different aspect ratio also affects the relative focal length comparisons. 4x5 will be either taller, or less wide, compared to 35mm. Be aware the 105mm Nikon will just barely cover 4x5.

See here: http://www.kennethleegallery.com/pdf...rmatLenses.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    That sounds like a great price on the lens -- I'm assuming you are talking about the Nikon W 105mm f5.6. Be aware that it has an image circle of 153mm, so you will have basically no ability for movements for exposures at any distance. Check on your ground glass, at infinity, stopped down, to make sure the image is falling exactly in the middle of the screen. I use a Fujinon CM-W 105mm f5.6. It has a slightly wider image circle of 174mm, and even that can be a challenge to work with at distance.

Yeah it's the Nikkor W 5.6 105mm. Thanks for the heads up about the image circle. That's kind of a bummer to hear though. I'm confused about the rational of manufacturing a lens that can barely cover a 4x5. Was it meant for another format???

I guess I'll have to take back my "Good way to start!" I was not familar with the 105mm lens, but liked your idea of getting the 150mm. The 105mm probably would make a fine 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 inch format lens.

Can you return it (after checking out the limitations it might have on your camera)? Perhaps trade it for a 150mm and get use to it before deciding which way to go for the next lens?
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I own a 180mm for 4x5 and a 14" (358mm) for 8x10 which are equal focal lengths for those formats. I prefer the slightly longer normal for portraits. My friend Ari and I discussed this. He much prefers a 300mm for portraits on 8x10.

A lot of it depends upon what you shoot. Of course we vary anyway. I've always liked wide angles for getting in close and moderate long lenses for landscape.

Your idea of trying a 150mm is sound. If you do decide to later sell and buy another focal length, you won't be out much money doing so.

Ok, I just requested a return for my 105mm lens. The seller has an unconditional 30 day return policy. Except that I have to send it back to Japan which is annoying.

I've been thinking about this today and I've decided I'm just going to get a 150mm lens for now and shoot with that for awhile and not worry about wide or long lenses while I'm learning LF. Then I'll have a better idea of which to get next. Also, in a few weeks I'll be on a week long vacation in the Smokey Mountains and I've convinced my uncle to bring his Deardorff (4x5 backed) so that I can get some lessons. He will probably have a few lenses I can experiment with.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TrePiedi View Post
    I'm confused about the rational of manufacturing a lens that can barely cover a 4x5. Was it meant for another format???
    Manufacturers know what they are doing. They know what film sizes shutterbugs use. They have to fight a battle between cost, size, weight, aperture, resolution, etc. AND image circle. Some move in one way and some in the other -- based on what they think will fit the largest needs for the most photographers. The consumer needs to choose based on their needs.

I used to own a 90mm f8. Great lens. Great results. Great Image circle. But too large and heavy.

I decided to go with a 105mm f5.6. Great lens. One f-stop faster. Much lighter and smaller. But smaller image circle -- but then I have a preference for smaller, lighter, faster women, as well!

I decided to make the switch. Others would not have done the same thing.

In the end, the decision is up to the match between what the various manufacturers offer and what you want. YOUR decision. Knowledge is power!
    Last edited by xkaes; 10-Jul-2017 at 18:30.

Quote Originally Posted by TrePiedi View Post
    I'm confused about the rational of manufacturing a lens that can barely cover a 4x5. Was it meant for another format???
    Simple. The manufacturers make what they can get away with. Speaking here only of a lens I own, I'm puzzled by the 135mm f/3.5 Planar which has just enough coverage to apply a little rise. Sure it is bright but it does not strike me as a lens for perspective control nor a rangefinder press camera lens because few press photographers back then used a wide-open aperture. I have similar questions regarding the 75mm Biogon for 4x5, even though I have some kind of irrational love of Biogons.