Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

Re: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

Quote Originally Posted by prestonedavis View Post
    Would this be an example of one of the sinar adapters?
    Attachment 166314
    The concept for attaching the Linhof board to the Sinar board is as I would expect, but I'd want to know whether it correctly positions the optical center of the lens at the geometric center of the square Sinar board. I don't know what the magnitude of Linhof's offset is but IIRC it's below the center of the Linhof board. This photo shows an obvious offset that seems to raise the lens by some magnitude. Sinar's adapter can be seen on p. 4-8 in the pdf link in my post #7; an offset is not visible, but I'd trust Sinar to get it right. If you found that a wide angle lens cannot be focused, then a bag bellows (455.36 p.3-9 in the pdf) would solve that for focal lengths down to about 75mm.
    Last edited by Jerry Bodine; 20-Jun-2017 at 15:50.

Since Sinar was taken over by Leica in late 2013 (reported here), one can only speculate what may happen with prices of Sinar gear. It's good to know this last press release confirms Sinar retains control of marketing, product management, support, development and production of its gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Since Sinar was taken over by Leica in late 2013 (reported here), one can only speculate what may happen with prices of Sinar gear. It's good to know this last press release confirms Sinar retains control of marketing, product management, support, development and production of its gear.
    That is why Sinar has had other owners between the Kochs and Leica.

Could someone offer some recommendations for a decent darkcloth? I see a couple on Amazon but I'm not sure if they're adequate. I don't want to spend too much money, but something of relative quality would be good.

Checkout the viewcamerastore.com....they have some very promising dark cloths but you can just a as easily do the jim galli way and use a old sweatshirt that works for him.

The camera came today! I haven't had a chance to do a thorough inspection, but so far I've found that all but one of the spirit levels have dried up. And I will likely have to do some lubricating/greasing.

I'm equal parts excited and nervous.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9962.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	166391

Quote Originally Posted by prestonedavis View Post
    The camera came today! I haven't had a chance to do a thorough inspection, but so far I've found that all but one of the spirit levels have dried up. And I will likely have to do some lubricating/greasing.

I'm equal parts excited and nervous.

Congratulations, you have a piece of gear. Remember to caress it a bit before boxing it.

Preston, congratulations on your camera, just bought one myself. Actually it's on hold at Glass Key here in San Francisco for pick up on Saturday. Fortunately mine only has one dryed out spirit level. I seem to recall seeing a post on how to repair the Sinar spirit level somewhere on the Internet. If I find it I'll let you know.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Preston, congratulations on your camera, just bought one myself. Actually it's on hold at Glass Key here in San Francisco for pick up on Saturday. Fortunately mine only has one dryed out spirit level. I seem to recall seeing a post on how to repair the Sinar spirit level somewhere on the Internet. If I find it I'll let you know.

Roger
    Thanks Roger. I've taken a closer look at it looks like only one is dried up. The other two are just moving really slow. Guess they may need replacing soon.

I'm aware of some of the threads regarding replacing/refilling a SL. I think I'll try to buy some replacements soon. Congrats on your Norma. Hopefully you got a good deal.

Anyone know how I can find the thread size for the lens? For those keeping score at home, it's the Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar Convertible Lens 210mm/5.6 370mm/12.

My searching isn't really turning up anything.