Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Is TRIX320 98% better than Ilford HP5 Plus ??

Re: Is TRIX320 98% better than Ilford HP5 Plus ??

Only here can you start talking about TXP and end up with someone talking/speculating/arguing about TMY.

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong but since you are talking about TMAX (a tabular grain film not a cubic grain film like the OP is asking about)...in theory when talking about tabular grain film - the greater surface area of the grain the more dye it can absorb (which affects light sensitivity) and being a different film grain structure I would assume that's why the residual dye is different. I wouldn't necessarily link it to "self-screening" but IF it were any different I wouldn't see why the manufacture wouldn't advertise as such...I mean look at Fujifilm Acros that's an orthopanchromatic film.

Sorry OP...this will be my last comment about this
    For what it's worth, all the films under discussion are 'controlled crystal growth' films - it's just that the current TMAX's (and TX/TXP shares a fair bit of technology with them) and Ilford's Delta's & Fuji Acros are somewhat more sophisticated in the way they use different grain structures, which while they may use tabular grains in some emulsion components, cubic grains are also used elsewhere in the structure. There's a number of posts from Ron Mowrey (Photo Engineer) over at APUG in the emulsion making section that covers BW film design history in considerable detail if such things interest you.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    It's going to be massively more complex than you assume. You are working at a 1940s level of emulsion knowledge from your textbook (if we're being extremely generous) & TMAX's starting point was using the cutting edge of 1980s emulsion knowledge to start from. The pink residual dye might contain acutance dyes intended to control reflections between layers, or to control interlayer effects (halation, edge effects, etc) - for all we know, the TMAX films might be 3 emulsion layers or more & use 5 emulsion components - at which point controlling their inter-relationships becomes vital. Go to APUG & ask.

As you said (great contribution!), the pink is... (fact) "in emulsion" sensitizing dye complexed with osmium compounds, but stick to what Ron said... not acutance dyes or other !!!

interneg, I'm not talking about photochemical complexity, but about clear facts.

TMX is a Pink Panther, with a remarkable (fact) and irrefutable pink screen in it, filtering light inside emulsion. I repeat, now this is a fact.

So no doubt (fact) that the remarkable pinky screen contributes to the final (and desired) spectral foodprint, probably (guess) as a controlled parameter.
    PD: Note that "layered dyes" is not "layers of emulsion"... but layers of different dyes around single crystals...

http://www.google.ch/patents/US6361932

IMHO TMX has 2 layers of sensitive emulsion IIRC, and at least the outer one should be of "layered dyes" type...
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 6-Jun-2017 at 02:59.

Sorry OP, for the /*off topic*/ about film nature side debate.

Anyway this time it has been productive, at least (speaking about me) I've learned a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    grain is way irrelevant in 8x10...
    I'm not sure about that. Try a portrait with 8x10 TMAX (developed in xtol) and FP4 (developed in rodinal), and contact print them. They'll be very different.

As you said, the pink is... (fact) "in emulsion" sensitizing dye complexed with osmium compounds, so stick to what Ron said... not acutance dyes or other !!!

interneg, I'm not talking about photochemical complexity, but about clear facts.

TMX is a Pink Panther, with a remarkable (fact) and irrefutable pink screen in it, filtering light. I repeat, this is a fact.

So no doubt (fact) that the remarkable pinky screen contributes to the final (and desired) spectral foodprint, probably (guess) as a controlled parameter.
    PD: Note that "layered dyes" is not layers of emulsion... but layers of different dyes around single crystals...

http://www.google.ch/patents/US6361932

IMHO TMX has 2 layes of emulsion IIRC, and at least the outer one should be of "layered dyes" type...
    In essence that patent describes the use of a sensitising & acutance dye utilised in a way to maximise sensitivity to light enabling higher speed for a lower grain. In other words a cyanine (panchromatic sensitising) dye & one that isn't. The one that isn't panchro is the acutance dye. It's there to filter out unwanted bits of the spectrum to (amongst other things) enhance sharpness, reduce reflection issues etc. What you are attempting to call a 'screen' may well be an acutance dye.

The pink dye in question - either for green sensitisation or to control sensitivity to green light - seems to not be broken down during processing as easily as most other dyes. It can be removed by a longer wash or by sulfite or by exposure to oxygen. Within the dyes listed in the patent, there are several that would comply with the colour that comes off TMAX or Ilford or many other films. Indeed, several of the dye families mentioned in there have quite a number of intense colours in the pink to purple range that would seem likely candidates. Owing to the manner of the use of these dyes and the greater available surface area in modern controlled crystal growth emulsions, they are likely to be used in larger quantities than in previous generations of films - it's all aimed at making as much of the silver usable as possible & minimising wasted silver in the emulsion.

Given that people have reported similar colours with Ilford films, it seems that the dye family in question is in widespread use.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morris View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Try a portrait with 8x10 TMAX (developed in xtol) and FP4 (developed in rodinal), and contact print them. They'll be very different.
    Indeed. And even if you ran them in the same developer adjusted to the same contrast they'd be different. But that would require him to actually try the materials, rather than adsorbing synthetic fluff from bad simulation programs...

Quote Originally Posted by James Morris View Post
    What grain in 8x10 contact copy ??

FP4 vs TMX contact copies may look very different, but not becacuse grain, just realize what is the size of grains.
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 6-Jun-2017 at 05:37.

Given that people have reported similar colours with Ilford films, it seems that the dye family in question is in widespread use.
    interneg...

I showed you the patent only because you said might be "3 emulsion layers or more", when TMX it is 2 sensitive emulsion layers only... a slow cubic one and a T-grain, I thought your confusion was comming from the "layered dye" concept, that's not about "3 emulsion layers or more", but no... just 2 sensitive layers !

What you are attempting to call a 'screen' may well be an acutance dye.
    T-grain emulsion layer is pretty pink, it is irrefutable that TMX is in fact a "partial self-screening" emulsion.

It doesn't matter why a color dye is in the sensitive emulsion, if it filters light then self-screening happens.

Still an emulsion may have additional colouring dyes inside that are destroyed during process... but I don't know much about that...

I think I've said all I should about that.
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 6-Jun-2017 at 11:01.

Tim Sandstrom

We often tell ourselves stories, sometimes we even believe them. And then, once that bridge has been crossed,
    we tend to believe the 'evidence' that supports us and dismiss all else. We like being 'right'.

All this blathering, on and on, pages and pages of it, filled with suppositions, logical fallacies,
    specious statements presented as 'facts', ad nauseam; what's the point of all this effort?
    To suggest that a film has a spectral response?! Alert the press! Design your own emulsion
    and see what you get. TMX has a fairly linear response, as much or more than most films.
    Millions of images have used it; it's a fine film, one of the best *ever* made,
    and I will miss it when it is gone.

But what do you care?

It's not about the 'truth' here, it's about being 'right'. You're tilting at windmills.

T-grain emulsion layer is pretty pink, it is irrefutable that TMX is in fact a "partial self-screening" emulsion.