Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Fujifilm Japan announcement of end of Acros sheet film

Official Fujifilm Japan announcement of end of Acros sheet film

This has been discussed elsewhere without a documented source, but Fuji has now posted an announcement in Japan:

http://ffis.fujifilm.co.jp/informati...lein_0066.html

The announcement refers to an "estimated end of shipping" in May 2018. I would guess that this means they have either already terminated production or have scheduled the last run, and are projecting availability based on anticipated sales rates.

Re: Official Fujifilm Japan announcement of end of Acros sheet film

Well, that's a real sadness.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Let's make some room in the freezer, to allow future great night shots.

This is not only sad. It also shows a Fuji weak comitment with film photography culture.

In a recent thread about film price I was asking to debate if Kodak and Fuji were squeezing present customers and preparing to discontinue the LF product.

A high price ends in low sales, with fixed costs going higher, and finally going out of profit.

Of course Fuji is free to proceed like this, but Ilford still manufactures BW paper, supporting LF photographers.

I would like Fuji could see the way sheet film could increase their corporate prestige.

"Even as early as the 1980s, the company had foreseen the switch from film to digital, so "it developed a three-pronged strategy: to squeeze as much money out of the film business as possible, to prepare for the switch to digital and to develop new business lines." While both film manufacturers recognized this fundamental change, Fuji Photo adapted to this shift much more successfully"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujifilm

Well, this is not sad, it's nasty.

"Well, this is not sad, it's nasty."

No, it is the size of the market, the cost of manufacturing, marketing and distributing, the sales volume and how much film is not sold in time to avoid short dating.

In other words the market has spoken. It is just good business. After all, do you expect the manufacture to market at a loss to just please you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    "Well, this is not sad, it's nasty."

No, it is the size of the market, the cost of manufacturing, marketing and distributing, the sales volume and how much film is not sold in time to avoid short dating.

In other words the market has spoken. It is just good business. After all, do you expect the manufacture to market at a loss to just please you?

Hello Bob,

We discussed that earlier.

What I expect is what Ilford try to do: making HP5, Delta and FP4 sheets profitable by offering a great product at a great price.

Do you think that Ilford is to discontinue film sheets? or increasing the price to squeeze present customers?

Bob, you know this bussiness like few people, you know that Ilford has a bet for the long term. Like with paper.

Here https://www.ilfordphoto.com/ they explain it:

"WHY CHOOSE ILFORD

Our black and white products enable the highest photographic quality, having been honed by 137 years of experience.
    We are passionate about what we do with a long tradition of commitment to black and white film photography.
    We manufacture to a consistently high standard.
    We retain the past, embrace the future and share our passion for black and white photography. "

Regards

Here we go again.

Ironically, just when Intrepid's Kickstarter 8x10 campaign took off.
    If, and that's a very big if, sales show a consistent increase in the next 6 months, they may reconsider.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Hello Bob,

We discussed that earlier.

What I expect is what Ilford try to do: making HP5, Delta and FP4 sheets profitable by offering a great product at a great price.

Do you think that Ilford is to discontinue film sheets? or increasing the price to squeeze present customers?

Bob, you know this bussiness like few people, you know that Ilford has a bet for the long term. Like with paper.

Here https://www.ilfordphoto.com/ they explain it:

"WHY CHOOSE ILFORD

Our black and white products enable the highest photographic quality, having been honed by 137 years of experience.
    We are passionate about what we do with a long tradition of commitment to black and white film photography.
    We manufacture to a consistently high standard.
    We retain the past, embrace the future and share our passion for black and white photography. "

Regards
    The current Ilford company is not 137 years old. Their name is.
    And Fuji's business decisions are not based on what Ilford does. It is based on what will continue to make a ROI that will satisfy their shareholders and their corporate parteners. Not what satisfies you.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Here we go again.
    Horse is alive. Looks dead, but it's alive. A Sioux like me can trot it 100 miles, before eating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    The current Ilford company is not 137 years old. Their name is.
    And Fuji's business decisions are not based on what Ilford does. It is based on what will continue to make a ROI that will satisfy their shareholders and their corporate parteners. Not what satisfies you.
    Fuji managers make decissions to please their shareholders, ok. Their deccision is to squeeze present customers now and discontinue soon. Perfect...

Ilford managers offer sheet film at ex-factoy cost based price, preparing for a long term bussiness. I'm to but their products !!!

Why ??? Me, I'm an amateur photographer. I love film. I want to support a company that is to source produts to me in the future, not the one that is squeezing the market and will leave me around.

I don't say Kodak/Ilford can't do what they do. What I say is that I look to the future when I put my little money in one pocket or another.