Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Photographing while drunk or stoned

Photographing while drunk or stoned

This thread reminds me of a cocktail comprised of burgundy wine and prune juice named the "Glow and Go"
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Are you kidding!?! I get enough comments my pictures look like they were taken while I was drunk/high, even tho I was sober. One is supposed to want to climb the ladder of success UP...not down.. :-)

Why????

FWIW, I agree with Alan D. and John C....

John K,

Glow and Go? I like that one....

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I don't think the following quote applies to our discipline, but I am reminded of the advice from the great writer, E.B.White:
    "One shot of bourbon, just to get started. After that you're on your own".

Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz ("Witkacy," 1880-1939), a Polish painter, photographer, and writer experimented in interesting ways with drugs. You can find his essays on narcotics in English translation in The Witkiewicz Reader, Tr. Daniel Gerould (Evanston, Ill.: Northwestern U. Pr.), 1992. He drew portraits, mostly in pastels, under the influence of various substances, and he would write the combination of drugs he used near the signature, so that he could analyze them later. The ones on cocaine are the most angular, disjointed, and unlike his "sober" style. He was most interested in peyote, which he obtained through a French scientist.

I don't use any narcotics in general, and I don't drink while photographing.

In the late 70,s at RIT, the art students felt that pot made time go longer and you could get more done... I was a photo student, that must explain why I never have enough time! LOL

Once (drunk, many microbrews). Drove (yup, completely stupid) up into Channel 7's front courtyard area near downtown Seattle (not a driveway but thought it was a driveway) in my '75 Landcruiser (aka tank). Jumped out (I think, maybe more like fell), took some of the best damn photos of their flag and flag pole all lit up by spots (same with liver). But I'll be if the film was blank after development (this was around 2am, sans tripod, B&W TMAX but it really didn't matter). Thought they were going to be good at the time...
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

I once tried an experiment with a fellow jazz pianist along those lines. I drank a bunch of beer and he smoked a bunch of pot, and there may have been some schrooms involved too, and then we sat down at two side-by-side grand pianos and hit "record" on his tape machine. What came out of our fingers was pure creation-- something like I'd never heard, far surpassing the best playing I had ever done-- totally synchronized out-there improvization as if we were telepathic or something. It was an amazing experience.

A couple of days later we hit the "play" button and listened to what we had recorded. It sounded something like a continuous-looped sample of the peloton of the Tour De France crashing in slow motion into the side of an aluminum warehouse.

~cj

i never drink enough, so not to shoot but only to get started it's tough with an 8x10 on your shoulder. i'm done for the day!

A few folks owe their existence to several stiff drinks.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz