Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

Re: Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

Macolive, I made a simple case for my tachihara out of a camping mat, sewed the corners together to make a sleeve of sorts. let me know if you want more pictures.
    160815-08183__Photo Gear Storage on Flickr
    Quote Originally Posted by macolive View Post
    So after much deliberation, I am thinking of going with panniers. Probably the Arkel signature V.

My solution to packing the camera and lenses would be to use polyurethane foam. This is what I had in mind. Fingers crossed!
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Quote Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
    Macolive, I made a simple case for my tachihara out of a camping mat, sewed the corners together to make a sleeve of sorts. let me know if you want more pictures.
    160815-08183__Photo Gear Storage on Flickr
    Hi Nicholas,

Is this mounted as a pannier? I must be overthinking things :-) Perhaps I don't need as much protection as I originally thought. How thick is the camping mat material? 1/2"?

Maybe I AM OVERTHINKING THIS!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101909_700.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	162341

Hello from France!

My friend Marcel Couturier uses a single-wheel trailer like this.

Single-wheel trailer - image #1

Bicycle + trailer - image #2

Trailer - image #3

Trailer delail - image #4

You may also have a look at this video by Samuel Gérard, who is a French LF photographer.

The video shows him travelling with all his 4x5" gear + camping equipment, using a mountain bike and a single-wheel trailer.

Samuel Gérard's web site: http://www.samuelgerard.com

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    Hello from France!

My friend Marcel Couturier uses a single-wheel trailer like this.

You may also have a look at this video by Samuel Gérard, who is a French LF photographer.

The video shows him travelling with all his 4x5" gear + camping equipment, using a mountain bike and a single-wheel trailer.

Samuel Gérard's web site: http://www.samuelgerard.com
    Thanks for sharing Emmanuel. Do our friends at Arca have any views about carrying their cameras on bicycles?

Macolive, the foam mat material is a bit less than a half inch, but close to that.
    This rig has only been on a bike a handful of times, mostly as the shoulder bag that it is (not recommended), a few times in a backpack and once or twice in a trailer. This is how I typically store and transport my gear.

Quote Originally Posted by macolive View Post
    Hi Nicholas,

Is this mounted as a pannier? I must be overthinking things :-) Perhaps I don't need as much protection as I originally thought. How thick is the camping mat material? 1/2"?
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Hi!
    Do our friends at Arca have any views about carrying their cameras on bicycles?
    Well, probably no. The only items I remember in the Arca Swiss catalog to carry LF equipment were carrying cases, there was a metallic one, there was the soft one sold with the F-line Discovery model and a nice leather case for the F-line 6x9 model, but nothing specifically designed for carrying LF gear on a bicycle.

Looking more carefully at Marcel's trailer, I realize that he probably adapted a spring-loaded wheel himself to a trailer designed with an ordinary wheel attachment system, originally with no suspension.

Another image I have in mind regarding carrying photo equipment on a bicycle is this one
    from the Berlebach booth at the 2014 photokina in Cologne
    but the amount of equipment shown here is modest, if I had to carry LF gear with a bicycle, I would first have an interview with my friend Marcel and do exactly what he would recommend to me ; )

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

That was a great video you posted Emmanuel.

I will be purchasing a Burley Nomad trailer (14.5 lbs) https://www.rei.com/product/882667/b...o-bike-trailer for touring but I find that the trailer specs are also perfect for hauling my Toyo 810MII around for local photo outings. The Burley will accommodate the Lowepro 650 AWII Trekker (9.5 lbs) carrying the camera, 3 or 4 lens, 5 film holders, spot meter...etc., and the G1348 Gitzo. It collapses into a rectangle that easily stores in the trunk so with the bike on the back of the car I can drive to the location I want check out and then attach the trailer and go. Everything stays well protected inside the Lowepro. The two wheel design provides for greater stability and distributes the bumps more evenly that a one wheel design.

Thomas

Hi!
    Do our friends at Arca have any views about carrying their cameras on bicycles?
    Well, probably no. The only items I remember in the Arca Swiss catalog to carry LF equipment were carrying cases, there was a metallic one, there was the soft one sold with the F-line Discovery model and a nice leather case for the F-line 6x9 model, but nothing specifically designed for carrying LF gear on a bicycle.
    Thanks Emmanuel....i was wondering more like whether they don't encourage packing their cameras onto a bicycle :-)

I think he is using a Bob Ibex trailer which has suspension on it.
    Another image I have in mind regarding carrying photo equipment on a bicycle is this one
    from the Berlebach booth at the 2014 photokina in Cologne
    but the amount of equipment shown here is modest, if I had to carry LF gear with a bicycle, I would first have an interview with my friend Marcel and do exactly what he would recommend to me ; )
    This is the way I think i'll go for now (panniers) and while i think the absolute best choice is the trailer, I want to see if it's feasible here for me in my country (given the way people drive here) :-)

i was wondering more like whether they don't encourage packing their cameras onto a bicycle :-)

Actually I discussed once with Martin Vogt regarding carrying my F-line camera in a backpack.
    Martin told me that I should leave all tightening knobs loose and let the various parts of the camera free to move.
    So (no surprise ), there are actually many A/S customers who carry their gear in a backpack. But as far as cycling is concerned, I do not know.
    Carrying any photo equipment with a trailer attached to a bicycle exposes the equipment to some kind of vibrations not really expected from a human walking slowly
    I imagine that my friend Marcel changed the fixed wheel of his trailer to a suspended wheel to reduce the effect of vibrations.

Regarding a two-wheeled trailer, I have one similar to this current model,
    https://www.leggero.de/media/image/b...si_2016-09.jpg
    bought 20 years ago when our children were young, and at a time when the offer on the French market was scarce.
    In Europe 20 years ago, Swiss, Germans and of course, Dutch and Danish, already had a mature market for for carrying children with trailers behind a bicycle. I had no LF camera at the time and no idea that the trailer could be used some day for my photographic activities.
    However, in the last 20 years, France has made significant progress to promote cycling.
    If I use such a trailer downtown today, I am no longer considered as an eccentric, but any time I visit Karlsruhe, a relatively flat city close to the Rhine in Germany, I am always impressed by the number of children routinely carried behind a bicycle downtown!

Another Arcaphile friend of mine, who lives in Paris, uses routinely this kind of 'cargo bike' in town to carry his child as well as all kinds of equipement.
    http://theradavist.com/wp-content/up...8-1335x889.jpg

Today, my 2-wheeled trailer would be the perfect "vehicle" to carry my LF equipment ... if I was brave enough to go cycling with my LF gear.