Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Repairing enlarger counter balance reel?

Repairing enlarger counter balance reel?

My Elwood 5 x 7 counter balance reel tape zipped inside the housing, I guess the rivet failed holding the d-ring as the ring went flying as it rolled up. Has anyone opened one of these up? My concern is wasting time trying to fix it if the spring is so tight I can't get it back together? Or the thing leaping out all over the place etc...
    Thanks
    Greg

Re: Repairing enlarger counter balance reel?

Might be hard to fix or painful. It appears the 8X10 Elwood used 2 or 3 spring reels and the 5X7 used one. So look for 8X10 parts also.

Rube Goldberg would retrofit with rope, pulley and weight. Many enlargers use this simple system.

Or look here. https://www.mcmaster.com/#spring-reels/=1667f5b

Thanks Randy, Yeah, that's what I'm worried about, the edges are pretty sharp. Do you have Rube's email? ; ) I think I'll go with a length of cord and a heavy weight. The enlarger has a good tightening system so I can do without but would like the backup insurance.
    greg

Quote Originally Posted by greginpa View Post
    Thanks Randy, Yeah, that's what I'm worried about, the edges are pretty sharp. Do you have Rube's email? ; ) I think I'll go with a length of cord and a heavy weight. The enlarger has a good tightening system so I can do without but would like the backup insurance.
    greg
    Yes, I have Rube's email but I am sworn to secrecy. When I see him next, I won't be back.

You could just tilt 90 degrees as the Elwood is made for that and enlarge onto paper on a wall. Then you would not need the spring reel or hack.

I was looking for these a few years ago for a DeJur, these items are still made and can be found online, once you have discovered the name for them! Try "counterbalance spring" you may find an exact replacement.

Years ago, View Camera had an article on how to fix this problem...sadly I don't have that article. Maybe a call to Steve Simmons ?

Thanks for the help. I'll see about contacting Steve Simmons. One way or another I'll get this taken care of. PS my darkroom is too small to work sideways, tho a clever suggestion.

I had a window company which makes countersprings make me some for D5-XLs. I sent them a broken one, told them the amount of weight it needed to hold up and they whipped a few out for me. Too long ago to remember the name of the company.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I got bored and went searching...Vaughn gave me the idea. Try www.pullmanmfg.com. They make window counterbalance springs for up to a 29 pound load.

That's them.

The D5s use two, so the load per spring is halved. Since then, there is an Omega replacement which are more like the more robust Beseler 23C springs.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China