Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are all Goerz Double Anastigmats Dagors?

Re: Are all Goerz Double Anastigmats Dagors?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I thought the corrected aerial mapping versions were called Metrogon.
    Metrogon is a B&L trade name. Metrogons are (choose both) copies of and variations on CZJ's Topogon. Basically 4/4 double Gauss types.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Hypergone on Glennview with story and image he shot

I believe Glenn as we have had a few in person discussions
    This http://www.glennview.com/note1.htm is the link you meant to post.

Yes, thank you. Glenn is an amazing fellow.
    Tin Can

Thank you, yes, 140º. I knew the original Hypergon covered rather more than the 90º cited in this 1960 price list. Also I see in my circa 1934 Carl Zeiss Jena catalogue this: "The Hypergon is recommended for use in those cases only where an angle of more than 100º (even up to 140º) is required..."

The same catalogue says that "(B)y stopping down" their f/9 Dagor will cover "almost 100º".

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    The same catalogue says that "(B)y stopping down" their f/9 Dagor will cover "almost 100º".
    David, I have a 45/9 CZJ Goerz Dagor. It is just barely usable on 2x3, I much prefer my 47/5.6 SA. The SA has more coverage and center filters are available for it.

Some modern lenses really are better than revered oldies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    David, I have a 45/9 CZJ Goerz Dagor. It is just barely usable on 2x3, I much prefer my 47/5.6 SA. The SA has more coverage and center filters are available for it.

Some modern lenses really are better than revered oldies.
    Oh, say it isn't so! I'm certainly guilty of having acquired more than my share of "revered oldies" (like that term a lot) over the years. While I use them from time to time, I'm much more apt to take my 200mm Nikkor M, my 120mm Super Symmar HM and my 65mm Nikkor SW (and end up using only the Super Symmar) when I go out to photograph.

The 4.5 cm f/9 Dagor isn't shown in my circa 1934 CZJ catalogue, it looks like it came out later. Hartmut Thiele shows one batch of 25, serial numbers 1,844,852-1,844,875. Production of this batch started 29 April 1937. In Thiele's Fabrikationsbuch Photooptik II Carl Zeiss Jena this date is in the column marked "Fertig." for "Fertigung". Once more I want to thank Arne Croell for his help in translating Thiele's terms.

It looks like my CZJ catalogue is from 1933, you can see this catalogue here: https://www.cameraeccentric.com/stat...fs/zeiss_3.pdf
    Mine is a nicely done spiral bound reproduction and includes a price list date May 7, 1934.

David
    Last edited by David Lindquist; 25-Dec-2019 at 13:19. Reason: more info

David, fascinating reading the CZJ catalogue which is lesson itself.

Thank you!
    Tin Can

David, thanks for the info. When I got my little 45/9 I asked Arne Croell about it. He told me that according to Thiele mine is one of a batch of 25 lenses made in 1937 to a design dated April 9, 1934 and that Thiele lists one other 45/9 CZJ Goerz Dagor made in 1930 to a design whose date is unknown.

The lens was eventually cataloged, see https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00498/00498.pdf. Apparently intended for 6x6.

Cheers,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    David, thanks for the info. When I got my little 45/9 I asked Arne Croell about it. He told me that according to Thiele mine is one of a batch of 25 lenses made in 1937 to a design dated April 9, 1934 and that Thiele lists one other 45/9 CZJ Goerz Dagor made in 1930 to a design whose date is unknown.

The lens was eventually cataloged, see https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00498/00498.pdf. Apparently intended for 6x6.

Cheers,

Dan
    Good, you found the catalogue. I have a hunch the "H. VIII. 39-Aooo" on the back page dates this to 1939. Thank you for making me aware of the extensive trove of catalogs, especially those covering the "revered oldies", available on Pacific Rim Camera's website. I notice that while they were in production by then, neither the 4.5 nor the 6 cm f/9 Dagors are shown on the May 1939 CZJ price list for the U.S. They are on the December 1940 price list.

David

You're welcome. If Thiele is right, that batch of 25 lenses in '37 was all CZJ made. I'd thought they were made to order for a client who had a special need. I can't imagine offering tiny w/a lenses in barrel to the general market. On the other hand, there must have been a good commercial reason for cataloging the thing and putting it on a price list.

I wonder which camera(s) shot 1 3/4 x 2 3/8.

Oh, and by the way, my lens was made to be shot stopped well down. Near wide open mechanical vignetting by the barrel is severe.