Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dilute HC110 1:30 from Stock Question

Dilute HC110 1:30 from Stock Question

Ive just been reading "The Negative" by Ansel Adams and on the compensation chapter, he says that he diluted HC110 at 1:30 from stock and developed for 18-20 minutes.

When he refers to stock, is he talking about how it arrives in the bottle i.e syrup?

I always get confused with the word stock

Re: Dilute HC110 1:30 from Stock Question

There is another recent thread on this. "Stock" HC110 is a dilution. So he can't be talking about the yellow (back then it was brown) syrup. 1:30 from syrup would be essentially normal strength, since 1:31 gives you 32 oz of Dil. B.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    There is another recent thread on this. "Stock" HC110 is a dilution. So he can't be talking about the yellow (back then it was brown) syrup. 1:30 from syrup would be essentially normal strength, since 1:31 gives you 32 oz of Dil. B.
    This is what I was thinking. Thanks, i will try and track down the other thread

It would be a lot easier if instructions read 1 + 31

In case you are not familiar with this resource: http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/index.html

Ian, look at the first paragraph in this Kodak link to HC-110, where it defines the stock solution as the concentrate diluted with 3 parts water (1:3); the working solution for Dil B is then made by further diluting the stock solution with 7 parts water. This is equivalent to diluting the concentrate with 31 parts water (1:31). Looking more thoroughly at The Negative, AA uses the same terminology as Kodak, stating on p.187: "I prefer to prepare the basic stock solution from the concentrate, (since it is difficult to be accurate), and I then dilute this stock solution 1:7 for normal development. I have used [the stock solution] 1:15 for contraction, and occasionally 1:30 or more for compensating effects ..." I have personally always diluted from concentrate, but it's important to make certain ALL the concentrate is rinsed well from the measuring device into the container used for preparation of the working solution, before adding the final amount of water. I think this procedure resolves the accuracy concern.

BTW, I queried Steve Anchell about the use of the colon vs. the (+) in specifying dilution; he said they mean the same thing, the colon is just an older way of saying it. I agree that the use of (+) leaves no confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    ...Thanks, i will try and track down the other thread
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...28#post1374328

I use a syringe with the stock syrup. I also increased the amount in the syringe by 10% to take in account left behind concentrate within the syringe. Initially was rinsing the syringe (measuring device) but got too messy and time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I use a syringe with the stock syrup. I also increased the amount in the syringe by 10% to take in account left behind concentrate within the syringe. Initially was rinsing the syringe (measuring device) but got too messy and time consuming.
    Greg, does your syringe not have a plunger that can be removed so that you can flush it with water (into the working solution container) before adding the final water to make the working solution? Just wondering how that is messy or time consuming. Would that not be more accurate than guessing at 10% or whatever.

hacker extraordinaire

When I use a syringe a just suck the diluted developer in and out of the syringe a few times. No need to disassemble the syringe.

I do appreciate how much easier Rodinal is to mix up compared to HC110, however, Rodinal is not as immortal as HC110.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.