Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear Review: Orvis Gale Force Boat Bag and the Stone Equipment Lens Wraps

Eric Biggerstaff

Gear Review: Orvis Gale Force Boat Bag and the Stone Equipment Lens Wraps

A while ago I posted a question regarding a need to protect single lenses, so I thought I would write a quick review of the products I ended up with.

Like many of you, I seem to always be searching for a photo gear bag that is tough, light and protective. I had purchased a Photo Backpacker set up which was great, but I really no longer backpack with my LF gear so it was overkill. If I do go more than a couple of miles from the car, then I take either medium format or DSLR so my needs were less than what that system was really designed for.

As a fly fisherman, I was aware of the excellent products on the market designed to protect reels and rods from the abuses of nature. Like cameras, some of those items are $$$$$$$$ so protection is important. I checked many different bags and decided that the Orvis Gale Force boat bag would be great. It is large, built like a tank, waterproof and the interior has partitions that can be moved around. Designed as a protective gear bag for use on drift boats, it is more than enough to handle my Deardorff 5X7 and all of the accessories for a day out photographing. In addition, it is currently 50% off at Orvis with a sell price of $125 so the price was right.

Now I needed to protect the lenses. While the idea of Tupperware style containers is great, and I have done that in the past, becuase the bag is waterproof and padded, I did not need those. I decided to go with the lens wraps that our friend Dan Stone makes. They are, without a doubt, the best lens wraps I have ever owned. The materials are tough on the outside and soft on the inside so my lenses stay nice and safe. The colors allow me to easily identify each lens and because most are bright I won't leave one on a rock late in the day when the light is fading. There is ample velcro to secure it and the craftsmanship is first rate. All that at a price which is less than others others on the market. If you need great lens protection, give Dan a call or drop him a note.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6557.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	160289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6556.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	160288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6555.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	160292
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

Re: Gear Review: Orvis Gale Force Boat Bag and the Stone Equipment Lens Wraps

Thanks for the review. This information will guide some of my future plans.

sweet!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thanks for the follolw-up and review. So often someone asks a question, then gets tons of well-meant advice then never lets us know what they did about it.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

David Schaller

Thanks Eric. That looks like a great system. Now can we see the second one you got for your reels?

Eric Biggerstaff

David,

I tell ya, reels are like lenses, one is never enough! Every year more seem to find their way into my home, and all live in a large reel case. I have another one of those for lenses as well!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Eric Biggerstaff

By the way, for anyone interested. That Orvis bag holds my camera, 8 5X7 holders, dark cloth, 8 lenses, plus all the other little crap that goes along with a day in the field.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Thanks, Eric!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    David,

I tell ya, reels are like lenses, one is never enough! Every year more seem to find their way into my home, and all live in a large reel case. I have another one of those for lenses as well!
    It's nice to think about fly fishing at this time of the year. I may have to make the short trip up to the Orvis store in Manchester, VT to look at this bag ... and fishing gear.
    Thanks agai,
    Dave

Rene P.

I can certainly use a couple new lens wraps. Does Dan Stone have a website?

Thanks for the review. Now I have a much needed excuse to visit the Orvis store.