Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st Post / 1st large format camera , advice

Re: 1st Post / 1st large format camera , advice

Quote Originally Posted by 1erCru View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. In regards to the Sinar F / P I'm still confused about flash sync. Is it the same type connection that would hook into a Mamiya Sekor lens? I guess what I want to know is that if I connect a in front of the camera lens to a Sinar F / P will I be able to sync at 125-250 considering it's a leaf shutter ?
    Modern shutters take the same sync cord as your Mamiya lens. I own a Mamiya C220f myself.

Top speed depends upon the shutter. I've got a Copal that goes up to 1/400 second and a Press Copal that goes to 1/125 second. I've got a Compur that goes up to 1/500 second.

My other shutters take the bi post flash sync.

So I can throw any LF in front of the camera lens into a Sinar F2 ( I assume it has to have a compatible Sinar lens board ) and be ready to shoot? Also if the lens is a leaf shutter why would I be limited to 1/60?
    As long at it will fit on a Sinar board and you have enough bellows to focus. All Sinar boards are compatible. Lenses are mounted on different shutters according to the cell sizes. The largest lenses only fit in a Copal 3 or larger shutter, the smaller ones in Copal 0 or 1's. Copal/Compur 1 shutters go to 1/500, Copal 1 shutters go to 1/400 sec, Copal 3's to 1/125. These "fastest" values are typically off by 1 or more stops. L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I'd get a Sinar F2. It's much lighter than the P, cheaper and readily available in the used market! L
    I've owned a P and an F which I bought to part out. I agree that if the OP is going to use it outside a lot he may prefer the F2 but inside the P is such a joy to use.

From what I have seen on Ebay, P's and F2's go for pretty close to the same money because the F2 is a newer camera. Now the P2 is another story.

A Sinar Copal shutter is a special shutter that fits behind the front standard of a Sinar camera. You either use lenses in special DB boards with this shutter or some like to use old barrel lenses with the Sinar Shutter. The Sinar shutter is an "extra" and you don't need one. Just use regular Sinar boards and the shutter that comes with your lens. Sinar Shutters are nice to have though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sina...Ytmh-m0abrM%3A

if the lens is a leaf shutter why would I be limited to 1/60?

Excuse me if these are dumb questions, I tend to ask tons of them until I run out of them
    LF shutters come in different sizes to match the lens size. Copal shutters come in three sizes, 0, 1, and 3. Copal 0 is the smallest and has a 1/500 top speed. Copal 1 has a 1/400 top speed. Copal 3 shutters are for the largest lenses and have top speed of 1/125. These are fastest speeds possible in each shutter. Electronic Flash (X) sync is at all speeds for each Copal shutter.

check here for a wealth of information on shutters
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/shutters.html

Guys thanks for the response. The information helped a great deal. The infront of the camera lens / behind the camera lens / Sinar aperture shutter threw me off.

I'm not scared of being able to operate the camera , I'm scared I'll order incompatible parts!

David Schaller

So I can throw any LF in front of the camera lens into a Sinar F2 ( I assume it has to have a compatible Sinar lens board ) and be ready to shoot? Also if the lens is a leaf shutter why would I be limited to 1/60?

Excuse me if these are dumb questions, I tend to ask tons of them until I run out of them
    Yes, if you spend some time around this forum you will see people using lenses from the 19th century quite often, for example. In large format the lens just needs to be mounted on a board specific to the camera, but the lens itself is not specific to the camera. Modern lenses are often in Copal shutters, which top out at different speeds. Most lenses don't go faster than a nominal 1/250 or maybe 1/400, but as others have said, they sync at every speed.

Looks like I'm the new owner next owner of a Sinar F2. Camera looks in good shape and comes with a copal 0 board.

Lost of things to get ( feel free to chime in )

Sturdy tripod ( I have this )
    Remote release cord
    Lens ( set on a 210 also want something with wider coverage )
    Lens board matching lens
    4by5 film holders ( are these Sinar Specific holders or will any work )
    Film

Anything else ?

Good camera....short rail:

You may want a rail extension (for longer lenses or close-ups), bag bellows (for wide angle work 125mm and shorter), magnifier to check the focus on the GG, Dark cloth, empty film boxes to unload holders into, you will need a copal 1 for the 210mm lens (most likely), a case or rubber-mate tub to transport the camera (fully assembled), patience and lots and lots of film. Cut film holders are universal.

I ended up getting a Sinar P. i also picked up a Schneider APO Symmar 210. I assume the shutter release is built into the lens. Will my Mamiya RZ67 cable release work to trip the shutter?

Thanks again!