Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: INTREPID CAMERA 4X5 Gen 2 Users & Reviews

Re: INTREPID CAMERA 4X5 Gen 3 Users & Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by njc2o View Post
    Anyone had light leak issues out of the box? Read it very little, but wondering what sort of triage I should plan on doing upon arrival.
    Haven't heard of anyone having trouble like that. The bellows on mine are great, everything is put together well.

I checked mine before its first use but the bellows were perfect. Haven't had a single issue.

Shot a few tonight to test it out and test some old film I got. I have it mounted on a light tripod with an arca-swiss mount. Everything sets up easy but seems a bit shaky under the base, I'll check that mount tomorrow and see if I didn't have it tight enough. Glass is real clear and bright, setup and focus is really easy. With a carbon fiber mefoto tripod the whole setup is really light.

I have one of the original Kickstarter models and quite like it. Quick review:

Pros

1. Extremely light
    2. Easy to set up
    3. Sufficient movements for my purposes
    4. No issues with ground glass or bellows
    5. Practically nothing on it I can't fix or replace if needed; close to a DIY camera in that respect.

Cons

1. Robust enough for my purposes, but a little delicate in some ways: care is required in tightening things
    2. Tolerances on my unit are sloppier than expected, even given the manufacturing method -- I suspect mine was done in the rush to get the last KS units out the door. The various moving parts (the base in particular) have a lot of play, to the point of my occasionally having to hold the base down with one thumb while adjusting the focusing knob with the other hand, otherwise the rack and pinion pop apart far enough to stop working.
    3. The threaded screw inserts in the movable plate were drilled in the wrong places, so using the second crew in the front standard to lock things down causes it to be unsquare to the front. So I don't use the second screws (which I think they've left out of newer models anyway). Unfortunately...
    4. The single screw in the bottom of the front standard is not really enough to lock it down. It still moves unless I really torque it, and I don't think I can torque it enough to lock it firmly without risking damage. So I have to be pretty careful about nudging it when using swing movements.
    5. I wrote to the Intrepid folks about problem 3) and they never replied. I haven't cared strongly enough about it to write again.

Don't want to leave the wrong impression: I really like the camera and use it all the time. I appreciate its capabilities, the fact that I can toss it in a messenger bag with a few holders and a CF tripod and be on my way just about anywhere, and that I don't worry much about risking damage to it because it's not an expensive, precious instrument, and I know I can fix just about anything that's likely to happen to it. Could wish there had been a little more care in manufacturing, and I'm guessing that the later models fix some of the issues mine has. But all in all, I'd recommend it (providing one goes into it eyes open) and would consider buying one of the new cameras for travel. In the meanwhile, my 2D serves my field 8x10 needs just fine, if in a slightly more bulky and heavy way...

Robert

Intrepid Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brazile View Post
    I have one of the original Kickstarter models and quite like it. Quick review:

Pros

1. Extremely light
    2. Easy to set up
    3. Sufficient movements for my purposes
    4. No issues with ground glass or bellows
    5. Practically nothing on it I can't fix or replace if needed; close to a DIY camera in that respect.

Cons

1. Robust enough for my purposes, but a little delicate in some ways: care is required in tightening things
    2. Tolerances on my unit are slo...

Robert
    Hi Robert, you are not wrong we did (regretfully) rush to get the last of the Kickstarter batch out, a mistake we will not be repeating, the new model does address all the issues you mention and if you would be happy to do so you can all ways send the camera back to us and we can repair or replace anything that isn't working properly (for free of course). Let me know if you would like to, by sending us a quick email.

Thanks again for supporting us when it was all just starting out!

Max Grew - Intrepid Camera

Had a chance to have a play with a current production Intrepid a couple of days ago - my only major reservation relates to the ability to lock the front standard dead square to the baseboard. It's a little too easy - even with the locking screw screwed down as tight as possible - to get enough torque to knock the front standard off centre rotationally - ie left & right swing. Perhaps some sort of washer arrangement would help? It's something that should be addressed before the 8x10 gets released - the forces that can be exerted on similar points will be much greater given the larger size of the components.

Otherwise, it's an impressive piece of engineering.

If these issues can be fixed, then the 8x10 will be something I'd seriously consider. An 8x10 non-folder with no back movements, minimal front movements & shorter bellows would be even better, but the market for that's probably pretty small...

The current model is way beyond the original that's why I waited to order. I just got mine and they have already made a change by adding 3d printed parts, I assume as with anything it will continue to improve.

I went for a hike last night with it and finally got to really test it out. Number one thing I love is the weight, paired with my mefoto CF tripod the whole setup is amazingly light. Getting it in and out of my pack and setting up/taking down is easy also. I ordered a new pack when I was waiting on it, it's a small lowepro pack that is an older model without a stupid laptop pouch. It holds the intrepid, 90 f8, 210 f5.6 127mm graflex lens, meter, pack of filters, 4-5 backs, cloth, and tripod mounts on side. I got the lensboards 3d printed by Holgamods. The ground glass is very bright and clear and it's easy to compose and focus. Keep in mind that a high-end ground glass would cost more than the camera itself does so this is a big bonus. Back is easy to rotate.
    Only complaint so far is its very shaky. I have an arca swiss mount clamped tightly, and just touching it shakes it. I'm going to see about ordering a plate with more surface area, perhaps a wide one or something is made that will steady it. I think the front standard supports could be made a little beefier, with a larger lens mounted it would be more stable that way. Of course my favorite thing is the light weight, so that would negate some of that also.
    This is the camera on the shore of Lake Martin in central Alabama, USA, taken last night:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17991223_10212965031228931_7092706416964309361_n.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	163874

First photo I shot with the intrepid in studio. Not used to having swing on my front optic so I pushed it a little far.

Name:	4x5_0417_001.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	163922

These were taken on the hike at the lake. Didn't realize I had a filter that was obscuring the upper right corner with my 90mm at the time.

Name:	4x5_0417_007_1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	163923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x5_0417_006_1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	163924

What's the heaviest lens/shutter anyone has put on this? I'm looking at a 300/5.6 (the max focal length) in a Copal 3. Is that just asking for trouble, especially as this is my first foray into LF?