Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about a 90mm fuji lens on a Wisner 4 x 5

Re: Question about a 90mm fuji lens on a Wisner 4 x 5

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    photography
    lol
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    Okay so I will get my wife to stand ~15 feet away and also have her sideways on...........that will work. Will I also be able to use front tilt to try and get the front middle and far in focus??
    Yes you can tilt, but with a 90 it probably isn't necessary as the depth of field should cover it. Your lens hits optimal aperture at f16 or, even more likely, f22. For maximum depth of field you need to focus 1/3rd of the way into the scene that you want to be covered by the depth of field. That is because depth of field runs 1/3rd towards the lens and 2/3rd away from the subject. Since the apparent sharpness from depth of field is dependent on the final size that you will enlarge the film it is also important that you check your focus and depth of field on the ground glass with a high quality, focusing 4 or 6x loupe that is focused on the grain side of your gg.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    it is also important that you check your focus and depth of field on the ground glass with a high quality, focusing 4 or 6x loupe that is focused on the grain side of your gg.
    Bob
    I bought myself a Wista 5x Standard Focusing Loupe.............hopefully that will get it..
    What do you mean by "that is focused on the grain side of your gg"

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    Bob
    I bought myself a Wista 5x Standard Focusing Loupe.............hopefully that will get it..
    What do you mean by "that is focused on the grain side of your gg"
    Take the lens off your camera, point your camera at a bright light source. Put the loupe on the gg and adjust the loupes focus ring until you can sharply see the grain of the gg. Your loupe is now adjusted to focus on the ground side of the gg where the image is formed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Take the lens off your camera, point your camera at a bright light source. Put the loupe on the gg and adjust the loupes focus ring until you can sharply see the grain of the gg. Your loupe is now adjusted to focus on the ground side of the gg where the image is formed.
    Thanks Bob. I will do that.

A trouble with wide angle lenses taking pictures of people: If the people are toward the corners of the picture their image is elongated toward the center of the film. As an example, a sphere at a corner becomes elliptical on the film, the major axis pointing to the film center. Keeping a person reasonably toward the center would keep the person better proportioned. The film viewer is less upset with a distorted tree image in the corner.

Best wishes --- Allen

Usually wide angles tend to make people look thinner, compared to longer lenses, assuming the same framing (i.e. moving closer for the wide angle). Two different lenses from the same position will look identical, just with less in the frame for the longer lens.

This is a commonly cited demonstrative image:

Regardless, what you see is what you get. Look at your ground glass and decide for yourself. There's no substituting actual experience. If the image has issues due to perspective/foreshortening, back up and use a longer lens.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Usually wide angles tend to make people look thinner, compared to longer lenses, assuming the same framing (i.e. moving closer for the wide angle). Two different lenses from the same position will look identical, just with less in the frame for the longer lens.

This is a commonly cited demonstrative image:

Regardless, what you see is what you get. Look at your ground glass and decide for yourself. There's no substituting actual experience. If the image has issues due to perspective/foreshortening, back up and use a longer lens.