Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting started in LF photography

Thinking of getting started in LF photography

So I got a call from my mate that has one of the Leica dealerships in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia and he was asking if I would be interested in a Sinair X Large Format (4x5) camera. We got chatting as I am currently in Nigeria on an Oil Rig and he is in KL. What he was saying is that for a small investment 5 to 6 $k I could have myself a LF camera.

About a year ago I got my very first film camera a Leica M6 TTL and about 6 months later I bought a Hasselblad 503CW (Man I love that Hasselblad) . A mate of mine on the Leica Forum S said at that point I would/should get a LF camera anything from a 4x5 to a 10x8. I checked with a mate of mine in KL that has a fully blown darkroom and he says he only has a enlarger for 4x5 but can do 8x10 contact prints, so I am THINKING about trying my hand at LF photography.

I quite fancy doing outdoor portraiture and landscape stuff all in B&W as number one I can develop by myself and number two there is nowhere in KL where they can develop color 4x5 film

Its pointless asking if I'm crazy as you already know the answer to that question, what I would like to find out is what LF camera would you guys recommend for a starter LF camera (just cose my mate has the Sinair for sale doesn't mean I have to buy that??

Any tips help would be much appreciated

Neil

Re: Thinking of getting started in LF photography

There is a great deal of information on the home page.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

"What he was saying is that for a small investment 5 to 6 $k I could have myself a LF camera."

Check carefully the cost of the type of 4x5 you look at online as you may well get a complete outfit, camera, lens/lenses, film holders, dark cloth, cable release, meter, case and accessories for a lot less than this amount. Not sure about pricing in your area of the world but it will pay you to do some looking around before you make the final decision.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Is that in US dollars? Seems off by an order of magnitude, unless this is some kind of collector's object. Interesting.

If you are going outdoors and traveling around with it you should get yourself a folding 4x5 field camera. A brand new Chamonix 4x5 will set you back around $1k. Good second had folding cameras can be had for $500-600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foamer

You could easily get a decent system for $1,500 U.S. However, just because you like a Leica M6 means nothing at all when it comes to 4x5. The M6 is easy to carry, quick to use, has built in meter. For 4x5 it takes about 15-20 minutes to get off a shot. You are limited in shutters speeds, usually 1/400s is tops. You pretty much have to use a tripod 100%, and take care to properly level it. Are you sure this fits your style and temperament? It's also about $5 per shot. An 8x10 is about $20. You might look into other film options out there, such as a Voigtlander Bessa I or II, Rolleiflex, or Mamiya RB system to see if these might fit your style better. I would not spend the money to get into something you aren't sure is the right choice.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    You could easily get a decent system for $1,500 U.S. However, just because you like a Leica M6 means nothing at all when it comes to 4x5. The M6 is easy to carry, quick to use, has built in meter. For 4x5 it takes about 15-20 minutes to get off a shot. You are limited in shutters speeds, usually 1/400s is tops. You pretty much have to use a tripod 100%, and take care to properly level it. Are you sure this fits your style and temperament? It's also about $5 per shot. An 8x10 is about $20. You might look into other film options out there, such as a Voigtlander Bessa I or II, Rolleiflex, or Mamiya RB system to see if these might fit your style better. I would not spend the money to get into something you aren't sure is the right choice.

Kent in SD
    Good points. If you want ease of use and a larger negative then medium format aka 120 might be a better option. I'd look at the Fujifilm GF670 - which has a built in meter.

So I am looking at this for a starter camera
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	159717

I really want to do portraiture with it so I guess I need a longer lens as the longest lens in the package is 150mm ................I'm thinking 250mm would be better what do you guys think?

Neil

Thanks man I am going through it now

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    Good points. If you want ease of use and a larger negative then medium format aka 120 might be a better option. I'd look at the Fujifilm GF670 - which has a built in meter.

Im using 120 now with Hasselblad 503CW